advice on new laptop/desktop please

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jonathanbruce, Sep 30, 2013.

1. jonathanbruce macrumors member

hello everyone.

i'm not quite sure whether I should now get an iMac or not now. Am open to advice!
    The rumour now is that the next generation of macbookpro will have Tb2 just like the new MacPro. But this has been left off the modified iMac. I use Tb regularly as my iTunes library is on an external Tb Drive.

what does everyone think about that?
    Should I wait and see about another MacbookPro or just go for the 27"iMac ?
    I am now uncertain about the iMac since reading some of the news features on here.

I use my existing laptop mainly for music, ie Sibelius and Logic Pro Audio, Adobe Audition.
    Also my Aperture library is on my existing laptop. should i move that as well ?

Would appreciate any feedback.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The major reason for a laptop is that you have mobility needs, if you don't then the iMac screen's is larger which is a benefit.

3. jonathanbruce thread starter macrumors member

the reason i'm asking is mainly because i'm effectively using my existing Macbook as an iMac with iTunes running 24/7. Would I be better off doing that on a desktop? Especially since I'm using the Gigabit Eth0 port all the time anyway.

4. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

In my opinion, yes you would be better off with the iMac. If I didn't need to be mobile I would have bought the iMac too. I still may buy it next year;)

5. dannyp1996 macrumors member

The brand new iMac seems like the best option for your needs. TB2 is a technology upgrade that you will likely not really benefit that much from. Unless the external drive that you are running is some kind of crazy fast SSD that maxes out the existing Thunderbolt throughput (my guess is not), you need not factor this into your decision.

The new iMacs do feature good things like Haswell (low power - ideal for 24/7 on) and PCI-e storage on some models with similar benefits.

In addition, going for the iMac over the MBP (or even MBA) gives you the benefit of that awesome screen real estate too!

6. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I had a 2011 27" iMac that was recently stolen (home burglary) and it ran 24/7 with iTunes as our Apple TV server. We have two young kids so the ability to call up movies or other content for them or ourselves was key. And I prefer desktops. Last year when I went back to school for my Masters degree, I bought a 13" Air. Since the burglary, I have been using the Air with my external media drive to run the iTunes library. And it is a pain. Anytime I need to take it anywhere I have to quit iTunes, eject the drives, and unplug the cables. I am looking forward to replacing the iMac.

7. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

Just get a mid spec Mac Mini with the i7 processor, problem solved.
    Put your itunes library on it's drive or even USB 3.0 is fast enough.

I don't see TB2 screaming along any time soon on anything other than the Pro, hardly enough people fully utilize TB anyway, I still use it as a display port :p