Advice on new laptop purchase...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wutangforever, Apr 1, 2014.

1. wutangforever macrumors newbie

Good day to all the people on macrumors. Hope everyone is doing well. I come to ask you guys for advice towards a new machine purchase as I have began to feel it's time or at least very close, to buy a new machine. Purchased my first ever Macintosh in 2010; 13" Mid Macbook Pro with Core 2 Duo 2.4. Lovely machine to this day.

I like to game here and there (more of a console gamer) and play World of Warcraft but on this macbook I get 10-25 fps no matter where I am on the server. Occasionally for a few seconds if lucky get around 50-60. Everything is on low settings. I also produce music with Logic X, Pro Tools 10 and 11. I also have an MPC which uses the MPC software on the computer. Depending on the song being created, there can be up to 10 VI's or VST's or just a few on these DAWS or MPC software.

I mainly want a new processor and graphics capabilities of running WoW at 60 fps constantly as well as maintaining strong performance creating music as well. 4-5 VSTS have my current macbook feel "the struggle" if you know what I mean.

The 2 options I'm considering is a refurbished 15" Retina Macbook Pro from the Apple Store (base models 2012 or 2013) or a 13" Macbook Air i7. Or, I was thinking I can wait and see what WWDC brings to the table (new macbook airs right? 12" laptop?)

I know this a lot to read but I want to make sure I invest securely and happily, as we all do. Thanks guys.

2. kelon111 macrumors 6502

Get a Retina MacBook Pro 15" with the dedicated GPU.

Apple doesn't make gaming laptops but the dedicated GPU in all of the Retina MacBook Pro 15" models are fast enough to handle WoW with decent settings.

3. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

A MacBook Pro with a Dedicated GPU is what you need. Get the 15" Retina