Advice on new laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maliciousmunky, Mar 29, 2013.

  1. maliciousmunky macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2013
    #1
    Hi all,

    I want to buy a new macbook pro 13". However, I am not sure if I should get one now or wait till summer if Apple will release a new better model. (Even if they were to release a new one, on would the difference be anyway).

    It's either the new macbook pro or the macbook air.


    I would very much appreciate your help guys :)
     
  2. B... macrumors 68000

    B...

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2013
    #2
    If you mean the classic line, Apple might discontinue it this year, so grab it while you can.

    I also cannot advise which computer if you have not said your uses. What will you be using it for?
     
  3. maliciousmunky thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2013
    #3
    Sorry. I meant the 13" retina display macbook pro. I want to buy this one. My issue is.. If by September Apple releases a new model with a different look or any different features, then I'd rather wait.

    If they will only change things like processor...etc I dont really care, I would just get this one now and thats it.
     
  4. B... macrumors 68000

    B...

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2013
    #4
    They will likely change the processor and GPU but perhaps not by September. If you will be gaming, you should wait because the iGPU should be quite a lot better. There will be some bug fixes and of course there will be some new features, but probably no groundbreaking ones.
     
  5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #5
    You wont be waiting till summer, you will be waiting for fall. Sept/Oct-ish.
     
  6. maliciousmunky thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2013
    #6
    Great thanx man.

    I wont use it for gaming. But, is it worth the wait? the additional features will they be any good from the current one being sold?

    I do care about the fan or if there are any bad problems in the current one being sold though
     
  7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #7

    Only you can answer that.
     
  8. B... macrumors 68000

    B...

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2013
    #8
    All fan problems have been fixed with the recent SMC update. It is worth waiting if you want to product to be perfect or fixed with bugs because t will be a Rev. 2 product. It will be about 10-15% performance increase with about a 30% (maybe) increase in iGPU performance. It could also bring better battery life so that is something to look forward to (it is possible). Just do not expect the computers to be here by July.
     
  9. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #9
    If you need one now, then get one, if you can wait (you just don't want to wait) then waiting for Haswell will be better.

    My opinion on the refresh is that we'll not see anything until August, so if that pans out, are you prepared to wait 4 more months?

    The current line is great but Haswell should have a better integrated GPU.
     
  10. maliciousmunky thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2013
    #10
    Yup, I know. lol. But like I said, it depends on the changes. If the late 2013 will look different, have other new features...etc I would wait. (Don't know, maybe they will change the look in october 2014)

    But if it is just the processor, then I will get it now. This is why I am asking here, because I am not sure about this point.
     
  11. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

    Orlandoech

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2011
    Location:
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #11
    It wont have new features, just spec bumps.

    CPU, iGPU, GPU, maybe Ram, maybe SSD. Nothing OMG WOW NO WAY worth while.
     
  12. maliciousmunky thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2013
    #12
    Thats good news. The only thing left is to know whether the current one available has any noticeable problems like fan...etc Any reports on that?

    I really hope they dont make any major changes in spring or fall 2014 now.
     
  13. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #13
    If you're worried about a major refresh then for peace of mind its probably in your best interest to wait.

    I do expect the refresh to be the chipset only but to be honest, none of us really have no idea what's up Apple's sleave.

    They could be dropping the optical drive from all models, they could add a touch screen, who knows. Personally, if you can wait, you'll be better off. I waited 6 months for the rMBP to come out last year. It was not easy but in the end I got a great computer and an amazing display.
     
  14. B... macrumors 68000

    B...

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2013
    #14
    See my post above. Fan issues solved. IR issues not so much but you can always return or replace it if you get IR.
     
  15. maliciousmunky thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2013
    #15
    Yup thats true. I currently own a macbook pro 15" mid 2009.

    If I wait, I might keep waiting till fall of 2014 lol not knowing when to change.

    The one I have now is starting to get slow, bad battery...etc

    Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

    ----------

    Sorry, I didnt notice this reply :)
     
  16. B... macrumors 68000

    B...

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2013
    #16
    Then buy it now! It is an amazing computer now. Every computer gets upgrades often. If you always wait, you will end up never buying one.
     
  17. Cergman macrumors 6502a

    Cergman

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2013
    Location:
    my tesla
    #17
    Words to live by. Have had that in my sig for quite some time now.
     
  18. maliciousmunky thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2013

Share This Page