Advice on new Mac laptop for 30th birthday present!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by thedoctor7, Mar 18, 2011.

1. thedoctor7 macrumors newbie

Im looking for some advice on which macbook to get for my 30th birthday in april. I currently have a 20 inch iMac 2.66ghz, 1tb hd, 8 gig DDR3 ram which is mainly used for itunes and storing all my photo's and home video's on. I also have a 2010 MacBook Pro which apple replaced my old 2008 macbook with due to it having been back to my local apple store 15 times over 2 years! Anyway my wife is going to be using the Macbook Pro so i'm now looking at a new apple laptop for my birthday. Im currently looking at the MacBook Air 11 inch base model, the MacBook Air 13 base model and the new Macbook Pro 13 inch i5. The laptop will be used for web browsing and photography which will involve aperture and some iMovie editing plus i intend on purchasing Apple's One2One with the laptop. I can't decide which one to go for and am looking for some much needed advice.

2. bagoborealis macrumors newbie

Hello,

I see you are in the UK so if cost is going to help with your decision I just got a Macbook Pro 13" i7 2011 from Dixons.co.uk for £1075 instead of the RRP 1299! This is to replace my 13" 2.53 C2D late 2009.

They have reduced their list price and are offering another 8% off and free delivery. (Voucher Code is hardware8)

I noticed they had dropped the list of the i5 a bit and with the extra 8% off it worked out at just over £900.

Didn't notice if the Air's list price were any cheaper, perhaps you could have a look?

Good thing is they are an Apple authorised retailer so no headaches such as is possible with the eBay "bargains"!

3. scottgroovez macrumors regular

Good discount that. Surprised to see includes Apple. Usually their products are excluded

4. bagoborealis, Mar 19, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2011

bagoborealis macrumors newbie

Thats what I thought would be the case so I jumped on the opportunity and it all went through ok. Lets hope it turns up now....

Here is the link if anyone is interested and the code is "hardware8" for another 8% off. It looks like the Air's have a lower than RRP as well.

http://www.dixons.co.uk/gbuk/apple-laptops/117_1102_10103_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html