Advice on new Macbook (for video editing / school)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dreaver, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Dreaver, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

Dreaver macrumors newbie

Yes I know this is most likely thread #9515 but I will need some specific advice because I want to video editing on it, anyways...

I need advice for a new notebook, I'd love to get a Macbook and I am seeking some advice.

Here are some important points:
    - My budget isn't too big, I'd love the retina one and I can afford it, but I just don't think I want to spend so much money on a computer, I'd rather spend something like $1200, *though* I will use it very intense the coming years (4 years +).
    - I will need it for school, I will take it with me everyday (2-3h of travel / day).
    - I might want to take it while traveling in the future.
    - It will be used for internet / text writing / movies / Photoshop / Video editing / Photo editing (Lightroom) mainly.
    - I don't really plan to game on it, though it would be nice to play Diablo 3.
    - I'd love to do some 1080p editing.. Nothing too fancy (After Effects) but just regular editing with 1080p footage. I have my deskop for editing as well, but I would love to do some on the move. But I'd rather not have constant lag while doing normal editing (which my desktop does sadly...)

It is not like I will do LOADS of editing, but certainly SOME.

So what Macbook should I get? I am leaning towards the 13" (cheaper model) and add 4GB of ram, and perhaps a SSD.

Should I get that? Or should I get an air? Or should I just really invest more in it because it will serve me for quite some time (though I REALLY prefer not to spend too much)?

Advice would really help me! Thanks in advance, REALLY appreciated!

Edit second question: Can the 13" (cheaper, 2012 model) handle 1080p editing without problem? Just editing in premiere, nothing too fancy like After Effects.

Edit 2:I live in the Netherlands and they don't sell refurbished models here.

2. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The Retina Macbook Pro is the only current model you can get which will let you display full 1080p on the built in display:

[​IMG]

The other option would be to get a refurbished 17" MBP which has a 1920x1200 display.

You could get a 13" Air or 13" MBP and use an external display for video editing, but both of those only have Intel integrated graphics. For games and video editing you would be better off with a dedicated GPU, which means at least the $1799 15" Macbook Pro unless you go with refurbished.

3. Adamb10 macrumors member

Sounds like you need the MBP. The only thing about the 13" is the resolution is lousy so I would maybe try and upgrade to the 15" if you can afford it. Then you get discrete graphics (excellent for D3), a better processor for video editing.

4. Dreaver, Jun 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2012

Dreaver thread starter macrumors newbie

I am not wanting to DISPLAY 1080p, but to EDIT 1080p footage. :) I am not someone who really cares that much about resolution.

Is the resolution that bad (I am hearing a lot of people about it)? I could always connect it to a monitor in case of important editing.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

How are you supposed to edit it if you can't see what it looks like at native resolution? :p

If you aren't going to go with a Retina macbook Pro, I would reccomend a refurbished 15" or 17" over the current 13":

15" http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

17" http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/17

6. Dreaver thread starter macrumors newbie

I meant not displaying but editing I typed it wrong (sorry).

Well, to be quite honest you can easily edit it on a lower resolution screen (I am temporary editing on a 17" (1280 x 1024) because my other screen broke). I understand your point but it is not a issue for me. I just want to know if the 13" is capable for editing 1080p without problems.

Edit: For your interest, I live in the Netherlands and they (sadly) don't sell refurbished models here.

7. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

People edit every day without always seeing the full 1080p image, including myself. I'm working on a 30" ACD right now but it isn't necessary that my video canvas be 100% to edit. Literally until yesterday viewing a full 1080 image on a notebook means taking up most all of the screen real estate, and now the next day because the retina MBP exists, viewing at 100% is somehow absolutely necessary?

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Not necessary when doing the actual editing work, but I think it would be nice to be able to preview the final product or see your original raw video clips at full resolution before you call it a finished product.

You can always do that on an external display though.

9. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

Also most editors allow you to playback your timeline in full screen mode if you need to see it at native res on your computer display. If you want to view with real accuracy than the proper way would be to set up an output device like an aja or blackmagic and output a true 1080p video signal to a color calibrated broadcast HD SDI monitor... full 1080 on the retina MBP is still a far cry from that.