Advice on new MBP internal HD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brokendrums, Oct 19, 2010.

1. brokendrums macrumors newbie

Hey thanks for the time.
    120 gigs isn't nearly enough, I don't know what I was thinking back in late 2006 but it's time I got a 320 or something at least. I'm up for the surgery...
    I don't know much about different brands of HDs, so I was looking for advice on the market, and any other guidelines I need to know for putting an HD in the MBP. I know I gotta check to see if it takes SATA or ATA, I can't remember at this time.. is there anything particularly not good for the MBP? Do 7200 rpm drives work fine? Any general tips would be much appreciated.
    Thanks guys, cheers.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Any 2.5" SATA drive with maximum height of 9.5mm will work. 7200rpm drives work fine but some people have noticed heating, vibration and loss in battery life.

WD's Scorpio Blue is good if you get a 5400rpm drive, it's up to 750GB

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

4. brokendrums thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks bud. Yeah I'm sure a 5400 is fine, and 750 gb would be awesome. WD seems to be pretty good, anyone have anything else to say about that? cheers

Edit - Thanks for the fixit page, Spinner. I saw that on a thread yesterday and it's very thorough. Much appreciated!

5. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Sweet! Thanks for the ifixit link. That is good information to know as I will will be doing this next week.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Personally, I've always preferred Western Digital and I know other people do as well. They make great products so I wouldn't be worried. Anything will be better than that Hitachi or Toshiba crap you have in your MBP now :p

Here is video tutorial how to replace the HD.

7. mac8867 macrumors 6502

I personally am a Western Digital fan as well... Make sure, no matter what drive you get, that you DO NOT get one with a free fall sensor in it. Your MBP has that mechanism in place for the internal drive bay, and they will conflict.

In the Western Digital world, their "free fall sensor" drives have part numbers ending in BJKT... so make sure, if you go WD, you do order a drive with a part number ending in BEKT

8. brokendrums thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a bunch, this is exactly the type of info I was hoping to get.

And Hellhammer, yeah I have a Hitachi in there right now. It about time I got in there to clean out the crud, as well.
    What is the difference between serial ata and ata? I was reading on OWC that most laptops 2006 and later use sata, which is right around the time I purchased my MBO, so I guess I can check that information in the system info? gonna have to wait until I get home from work to check on that.
    Cheers

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://guides.macrumors.com/Hard_Drive

ATA is older and clumsier (bigger connector). You don't have to check anything since all MacBook Pros use SATA for hard drives

10. brokendrums thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man, you've been a great help;
    Upon researching the WD blue scorpios, I noticed some people with the 750gb (which appears to be sata2 by your definition) reported that they had long hang ups (constant spinning pinwheel) and clicking noises (sudden motion sensor?). Some of these people made it sound a bit unbareable; have you experienced or heard of any of these issues? Werd, thanks.
    cheers

11. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I use both WD Scorpio Blue 640GB and OCZ vertez 2 in my unibody MBP. the SSD is for speed and the WD for storage. No issues with either drive.

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I've heard some issues but that affects all capacities; 500GB, 640GB, 750GB and 1TB. Most of them are fine though. If you get a bad one, you can just get a replacement. Seriously, that can happen with any brand. Hard drives often fail within few days (manufacturing error) or after years of loyal service.

13. devilstrider macrumors 6502a

I have the WD Scorpio Black 7200 rpm and I'm good.