Advice on New Phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jamesthegator, Jul 22, 2015.

1. jamesthegator macrumors member

Hi all! Thanks in advance for the advice.

I'm in a situation where I need to purchase a new phone and service. My company currently supplies my phone and service, and I'll be changing jobs so now I'm on my own.

Here's my question, if I'm going to activate a new line of service now, what do you recommend I do about the phone? Here's what I mean: I don't want to go out and purchase a new iPhone 6 now since we'll likely see a new iPhone in the coming months.

So it's looking like I need something "temporary" (but with a permanent phone number) so I can leverage carrier discounts for the new iPhone later this year.

What do you think?

2. ABC5S macrumors 68040

Old flip phone around the home? Or perhaps buying a cheap one full price off contract perhaps ? Thats what I did

3. jamesthegator thread starter macrumors member

I like the idea of buying a cheap phone full price....thanks for the advice!

4. sartrekid macrumors 6502

You could get a cheap iPhone 4 or lower. Or you could get a cheap Android phone for 60 USD or less. Here's one:

5. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Port your number to a pre-paid plan, go to Craigslist and buy a used iPhone 5, which is old enough that its price won't drop much further after iPhone 6S become available. Also stick to the base 16gb model. From buying now to selling later, you net loss should be below $50.