Advice on on whether to upgrade G5 Power Mac

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
464
0
So...been telling my boss to wait on upgrading out G5 Power Mac (2.5 GHz configuration) until the new upgrade happens, figuring it would be around February. Now I'm reading that the new Intel chips will probably be Q2, and with the quasi-speed bump that happened today, wondering if I should amend my recommendation. He's been tempted to upgrade by the end of the year for tax purposes and since the machine is starting to act up (and can't run Snow Leopard at all or FCS3 too easily), it may not be a bad idea.

Wondering what general zeitgeist consensus is - is it good to wait for the new processor/chip and soldier on, or does today's upgrade signal that it will be later rather than sooner?
 

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
452
0
Iowa
So...been telling my boss to wait on upgrading out G5 Power Mac (2.5 GHz configuration) until the new upgrade happens, figuring it would be around February. Now I'm reading that the new Intel chips will probably be Q2, and with the quasi-speed bump that happened today, wondering if I should amend my recommendation. He's been tempted to upgrade by the end of the year for tax purposes and since the machine is starting to act up (and can't run Snow Leopard at all or FCS3 too easily), it may not be a bad idea.

Wondering what general zeitgeist consensus is - is it good to wait for the new processor/chip and soldier on, or does today's upgrade signal that it will be later rather than sooner?
I was blown away by the difference between my G5 and my new '09 Mac Pro 2x2.66 I was very happy with the improvement. It is suprising how much of a difference a few years makes when it comes to computers, and I thought the G5 was fast.

I retired the G5, gutted the case and plan to put something else in it as the case is slightly better built and has heavier gague aluminum.
 
Comment

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
9,368
119
Los Angeles
There will always be something bigger, better, faster and cheaper just around the corner. The difference between a current Mac Pro and your G5 will be huge. The difference between a current Mac Pro and the next gen Mac Pro won't be huge. If you need a new machine and your boss benefits by buying a machine now that's two good reasons to pull the trigger before the end of the year.


Lethal
 
Comment

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
464
0
I've notice a huge difference between the G5 at work and the model I got last year, so know that we'll see quite the bump. Especially in regards to processing video for DVD and Web...

I was afraid of getting one now and having a new one come out in a few months with a completely new (and 'improved') processor but as that doesn't seem likely...

I'm leaning towards advising him getting the Two 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon at B&H (just down the street), getting additional memory (12GB) and hard drives (probably 2-2TB drives and slap in the old 750GB drive from the old computer for now) at New Egg or OWC.

Question would be which graphics card to get...

We do primarily SD video to tape/DVD, with a smattering of Motion
 
Comment

Similar threads

  • CaliforniaDreamin
1
Replies
1
Views
749
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.