Advice on online backup service

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ad Pro, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Ad Pro macrumors member

I am looking into ways I can back up my important data somewhere outside my home, presumably online. I want something that works seamlessly and preferably automatically. Ideally I would like to have a few selected folders backed up automatically once a week.

MobileMe looks good and I like the look of a lot of the other features it offers. How well would it work as a backup system for my most important data?

suggestions are much appreciated.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Dropbox is a great service, and free for 2 GB of storage. You can upgrade to 50 GB for $10/mo or $99/yr.

MobileMe costs $99/yr, but only gives you 20 GB of storage. Of course, there are extra perks too.

3. Ad Pro thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, Dropbox looks quite cool and I will definitely have a look at it. The extra perks of MobileMe do make it seem a very attractive solution though.

Any ideas how i would make backing up a file or files automatic / scheduled with MobileMe?

4. Ad Pro thread starter macrumors member

I suppose what I am really looking for is an app which will schedule a backup for me and work alongside which ever backup service i choose (probably MobileMe). Anyone know of such an app?

5. belvdr macrumors 601

I use JungleDisk along with Amazon S3. Backing up my first several GB of data cost me $0.64. My next month's bill was $.04 since I didn't post any more data. Encrypted data and cheap.

6. Ad Pro thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies so far, I think I have just found the perfect solution for me. Apples backup app.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/application_updates/backup312.html

This appears to be a specific feature for MobileMe, not sure why it hasn't been advertised more prominently. I remember this being available in .Mac but didn't realise it was still a feature in MobileMe.

Anyone had any experience of using Apples 'backup' application with MobileMe?

Also what about Automator? I have never used it, but can it be used to schedule backups of files?

7. carl201167 macrumors regular

I also vote strongly for Jungle Disk. Very good value and just happily works in the background, backing up quietly and reliably. As added bonus your files are viewable in Finder or securely on the web. You can run your account on multiple macs too

8. old-wiz macrumors G3

Just be sure that your online backup is not your ONLY backup. If you go through a service and the service folds, you're out of luck. Multiple backups are very important.

9. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Gdisk

3GB to 8GB free

100% secure because its run by Google.

10. gvegastiger macrumors regular

Mozy is great. $5 a month and its unlimited storage.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Unlimited? I'd like to see what they say when I upload 4TB of stuff.

12. belvdr macrumors 601

I don't think I would believe just because Google made something, it is 100% secure. That said, nothing accessible via a public network is 100% secure.

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'd like to see you upload 4 TB of stuff from a residential internet connection. :rolleyes:

14. MTShipp macrumors 6502a

I use Mozy and currently have 190 GB stored up there. Costs me $54 / year. I have already had 2 crashes that their service saved my a$$ by having backups for me. Of course, now I am switching to MAC as I have been a M$ Winders guy for ungodly years. They have a MAC client. I hope to try it out as soon as my iMAC ships...but that is in another thread.

15. longwood macrumors regular

It seems like there is almost too many options out there. I am currently debating between Dropbox, SpiderOak and Mozy... I CAN'T DECIDE!

16. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Then give them all a try and see which you like best. ;)

17. longwood macrumors regular

I just noticed that Mozy doesn't detect any changes to the files/folders, which is something that SpiderOak and Dropbox do. I guess one is eliminated.

18. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Another satisfied Jungle Disk/Amazon S3 user, though on PC so far, I intend to use it on my Mac when Apple pull their finger out and ship it :)

19. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Dropbox is fantastic for online sync. Backblaze is much better than Mozy for online backup - doesn't interfere with Mac sleep mode, no limits on upload speed and they still have human customer support without the canned email response.