Advice on operating temps, fan noise, etc

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thejadedmonkey, Apr 26, 2009.

1. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Just looking for some input here.

We had our first heat wave here on the east cost. It's between 90ºF and 91ºF right now, and I left my computer on my desk, ripping a DVD while I went off to work, which it probably finished about 30 minutes later.

When I got home, my window was open, making it a nice 90º or so in the shade, and the MBP's fan's were running at 6000rpm.

Now, per Apple's specs, the computer can be used in temperatures up to 95º, and it's designed to be quiet. Am I expecting too much, or should I say something.

The only reason I hesitate to say something is because I'm already causing a stink over a power cable light that never goes on, but otherwise works.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Find out, what the CPU temperature is like at such moment with iStat.

If you're just ripping (copying the DVD) and not encoding, then the fan speed of 6000 seems quite high.

The best would be to have some kind of laptop stand, so the heat ran radiate form the bottom.

3. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Good idea. I made a quick n dirty laptop stand with some blocks, I'll see what it's like when I come back for the evening

Attached Files:

4. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Whoa, totally forgot about this here. My makeshift stand didn't work so well.

The fan's didn't stop. WoW dropped to 12 FPS using the lowest graphic settings... but once it cooled down a little to the 80's, all my troubles went away...

My DVD drive isn't accepting DVD's anymore, so when I take it to the Apple store, I'll mention it. Thanks for all the great responses!

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

after you do that i would still recommend getting an actual cooling pad.

6. thejadedmonkey thread starter macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'll keep that in mind, thanks!