advice on Palm Pixi Plus for sister

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rusty2192, Aug 9, 2010.

1. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone. I just need a little advice. Does anyone here have any experience with the Palm Pixi Plus, AT&T model specifically?

My little sister is on my family plan. She got the Samsung Solstice but hates it and wants return it and step up to a smart phone, but doesn't really want to spend quite as much as an iPhone (plus she would probably break it. 5 Blackberries in less than a year is a bad precedent. Thank goodness for manufacturers' warranties :D ). The Palm Pixi Plus can be gotten for anywhere from $50 to even free, and she likes the physical keyboard along with the touchscreen.

Anyone with any experience that can suggest it or not?

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I used a Pixi Plus on Verizon for a while. Currently both my daughter and her mother-in-law use one... and they love them.

It's not that hard to learn, and even easier to use once you do learn it. Its visual multitasking paradigm is easily the best around for users to figure out.

Good web browser, really good email client, and wonderful notification system including an unobtrusive but handy glowing alert light.

Not the fastest smartphone, but not the slowest. The always-there keyboard is really handy and doesn't obscure the screen area when in use.

There's not a lot of third party apps for it, but then some people don't care about such things as long as they have the basics.

Combined with the Touchstone charger, which is the way all phones should be charged IMO, the Pixi is just plain a great smartphone for users who want the basics in a well done package.

3. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I agree. I prefer the Pre Plus, but the Pixi seems more appealing to a younger audience. It doesn't have many apps, which is a huge downer. I like WebOS though.

4. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

To the OP,

No offense nor disrespect intended, but you do know that this is neither an AT&T nor a Pixi forum. It is for Apple iPhones, why would you go here to get info on another phone?

Isn't there a forum for Pixi phones where you might get more info? Its like going into a Ford auto Forum to get info on a Chevy.

Strange.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

Not really strange. A lot of people have had multiple phones or have been "converted" to the iPhone.

But more importantly - if you go to a Palm website - you'll get rabid fans just like if you come here asking about the iPhone.

How many threads get started here on whether or not someone should get one. Have you read them?

Coming here and asking about another phone MIGHT sound weird. And to some extend you might get some completely reverse bias. But you might just get a better idea of the pros and cons vs visiting a dedicated forum.

6. rusty2192 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks to everyone

I know this is an Apple forum. Check my sig. I'm an Apple guy all around and wouldn't ever give up my iPhone. But I know there are a lot of helpful people around here that may have had experience with the Pixi. Here it will be slightly less biased, and probably even more critical of any shortcomings. If I was in dire need of some heavy duty advice, I would have seeked out a Palm forum, but for a quick look, my beloved MacRumors community did great.

Thanks to everyone who replied. It sounds like a decent no-frills entry level smartphone.

7. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I have played with one, and it's a damn good phone. Appeal greatly to a younger audience. WebOS is a fantastic and easy OS to use. You can't really go wrong for a nice basic smartphone.