Advice on Pay as You Go in the UK (T-Mobile user)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by meddleuk, Jun 26, 2009.

1. meddleuk macrumors newbie

Advice Please on pay as you Go in UK

Hope someone can pleae offer me some advice. I am currently locked into an 18 month contract with T-Mobile (25 Quid a month) as they are the only carrier in my area that offer good coverage. I was thinking of buying the new Iphone 3G-S as I can just about afford the 16GB model if I sell my new phone that came with the contract.

The Apple and 02 shop have both told me that it must be locked to 02 otherwise it invalidates the warranty. I may be prepared to do this to stay on T-Mobile but was wondering can the new Iphone be unlocked anyway since it's a new firmware. Is this something I could do myself or would I be better taking it a local dealer if available to unlock. Are there any other disadvanatges such as software updates by Apple that should put me off going down this route. Does anyine here actually use an Iphone with T-Mobile in the UK Currently and does the internet etc.. work.

Is it dangerous to unlock the new Iphone and can it be undone if it ever needed to be returned to the Apple Store so it looked as if it was still on 02.

If I decide to keep the Iphone on 02 do I have to top up a minimum amount each month or is it true pay as you go.

Many thanks in advance for any help/
    Meddle

2. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

Compulsory top up of £10 to activate, then no other obligation to my knowledge. After 12 months, there is the option to pay an £10 a month for unlimited data, in addition to any credit you purchase for calls.

3. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Is the 3GS unlockable yet?

I unlocked my 2G with the software released by the dev team (free) and I use it on a T-Mobile Solo contract. Internet works fine.

4. synagence macrumors 6502a

5. meddleuk thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems as if an unlock is currently unavaible for the 3GS. But could you tell me if the current unlock on the 3G can be reversed if it ever need to go back to Apple for a warranty repair.

I could either have the option of getting a new 16GB factory unlocked 3G off ebay for £440 whihc I understand would be fine to work on T-Mobile and update on Itunes etc..

Or I could get the 3GS for the same price from 02 on Pay and Go and wait for a sim unlock to be developed and take my chances.

What would you recommend. Don't want the 3GS really unless I can safely revert it back to a pre-locked state if the phone ever went back.