Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcaccount

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 17, 2013
Hello,

I am migrating my photo archive from windows to mac, better to IPhoto.

Under Windows my photo archive was very simply organized, a directory for each "event" or time frame.

How shall I organize it with iPhoto? Shall I create an iPhoto event for each directory or is there a better way? How many events can iPhoto handle?

I would appreciate your help, thanks, Daniele

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Hello,

if you want to keep your existing "events", just drag your folders to an iPhoto window, and iPhoto will keep them ---> one folder = one Event in iPhoto.

If you wanted to use iPhoto as it "should" be used, open an existing folder on your PC or external drive, select all the pictures in it, and drag them to iPhoto :
iPhoto will create an Event per day (this is its default behavior).

Since importing pictures in iPhoto will not delete them in your existing folders, I suggest that you make some tests, in order to see how it works :
Quit iPhoto, then relaunch it while holding the Alt key depressed.
Click "New", to create a new Library, name it "Test".

Now try importing pictures, or folders in iPhoto, see what happens.

(you can create as many iPhoto Library as you want. iPhoto can handle MANY events/pictures, however it is recommended to avoid creating HUGE libraries.)

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
I'd not spend too much time neatening things up in iPhoto just now.
Yosemite should replace Mavericks within the next couple months. That'll come with a new and different photo management App.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.