Advice on potential upgrade, all opinions appreciated!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Daelos, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Daelos macrumors member

Contemplating an upgrade following Monday's refreshes/announcements and whilst I'm aware of the usual 'if you need it now, get it now' argument, I don't really need as such.

I'm currently using a late 2011 15" MBP (2.4ghz) 1680x1050 with antiglare, upgraded myself to 8gb ram, SSD, and original HD where the CD drive once was, and its a fast, reliable, perfectly adequate machine for what I use it for (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Glyphs, Coda, etc.).

I've recently been accepted onto a postgrad course that will entail long days in the studio drawing fonts and whilst I love this trusty machine, i've been out and about with it more of late and it's just a little heavy to lug around.

Enter the 13" MBPr.

I was therefore thinking of using my education discount to save some funds towards a new machine and would generally wait until after WWDC, but whilst I am self employed if I take the plunge before this tax year ends, I can also recoup some the cost back off of my tax, which I wouldn't be able to do next year due to the study being full time and bringing any earnings well below taxable thresholds.

My question I guess is does anyone have any experience carrying one of these about in a satchel/rucksack day in-day out, and how is the weight? A couple of friends swear by their 13" airs that are perfectly adequate for the level of work I'll be doing, but having not used one, I'm not sure how much i'll miss that retina display, which despite modern antialiasing, could be useful when handling the finer adjustment to fonts.

Apologies for the length, and any opinions greatly appreciated.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I'm a software engineer and carry a 13" rMBP (late-2013, i7/16/512) to work daily, with my 15" rMBP (late-2013, 2.6/16/1T/750M) chained to the desk most of the time.

The 13" rMBP is almost as light as the 13" Air, and it performs really well. I can run a Windows VM and a Ubuntu VM simultaneously (as long as it's in clamshell mode on an external display) without any lag.

For your needs, the mid-end early-2015 13" rMBP will suit you (2.7/8/256).