Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
OK I've ordered a presonus firebox and an AT2020 which should be arriving soon. I couldn't resist the $299 USD price for the package. (including xlr cable)

Now I'm after a studio monitor that is not too expensive. At the moment I'm looking at the Behringer TRUTH B2030A at $280 USD.

But I'm open to suggestions and wouldn't mind spending a *bit* more if I would get a substantially better speaker.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i'm not familiar with models in that range, but a friend of mine did buy some behringer monitors and i think they're crap -- way too bright. sorry, don't know the model #.

as a rule, i avoid their gear anyway, given their tendancy to steal designs from other firms.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i haven't used enough to make a recommendation. i'm running a pair of mackie hr624's, which aren't good enough, imo, and they're a lot more than you're looking to spend.

speakers are a really personal matter, and i think it's next to useless to head down to (say) guitar center and play some program material through their selection in their room. what you need to do is get the candidates in your space and spend some time mixing through them. the speakers which produce the mixes which translate the best to other systems are the ones for you.

then there's your room to consider -- is it treated at all? put aside $200 to place even a single minitrap in a corner. it'll improve whatever speakers you put in there.

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
OK I've gone for the Rokit RP-5, it's about the most my budget will stretch to.

Like everything else, the minitraps are nearly twice the price in Australia. But I'll look into it. I've heard and read good things about them but it's hard to believe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.