Advice on purchasing a reburbished mac for a computer novice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by avalonia, May 20, 2007.

1. avalonia macrumors newbie

I am considering buying an older refurbished Mac notebook as a gift for a relative who is a total computer novice. She has never sat in front of a computer before and I want to begin teaching her computer basics and internet surfing. I love Macs; I own an Intel Core 2 Duo Macbook myself. But I don't want to get her the latest model. I also don't want her having to deal with viruses, spyware, etc., so I'm choosing not to get her a Windows-based laptop and opting for a Mac instead. Any recommendations on an older base model Mac notebook with minimum specs for a beginner to learn on? She wouldn't be doing much beyond basic computer skills for now. Should I be looking for something on eBay? What would be a roundabout good price range for this? I live in the U.S. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i think the cheapest mac notebook you can buy is the $799 1.83 ghz core duo macbook. it's a good computer at a good price. you can't go wrong with it.

*edit*
    i will say, though, that you have to catch them at the right time. the apple store seems to update around 1am pdt, and they sell quickly. also, not all the models are always there, so it may take a few days to find exactly what you're looking for. for $50 more at $849, you get a superdrive and a 2 ghz core duo cpu. it's something to consider.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube