Advice on purchasing Apple router or 3rd party

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pelican7, Nov 20, 2009.

1. pelican7 macrumors newbie

Hello Folks,
    I'm going to be purchasing my first I Mac next week and would like some advice/opinions on routers. Should I stick with Apple's version or purchase a netgear/linsky?
    Thanks in advance

2. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

All I know is how long Apple routers last. I'd jump all over the new
    AEBS for ease of use and features. They've got the slightly older model in the refurb Apple store for $129 too.

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

I've not been happy with Linksys routers, but Netgear hardware has generally served the people I've set it up with well.

That said, I use an Apple router at home and I've been very happy with it. I don't know how the range compares, since I have a very small house, but it has run stably for long periods of time, is attractive physically, the administration is notably easier than with other brands, and it has most of the high-end features you would want if you're into such things. The automatic port forwarding (if you use Bittorrent or such) also works flawlessly, though other brand routers should also support similar technology.

If you're planning on using it to share a wired USB printer that's another plus; worked well for me in that respect, and since it's Apple's implementation you can be pretty sure it is going to work.

Basically, if you're on a budget, Netgear is probably fine so long as you make sure you're getting the features you want. If you have a little extra cash, though, the AEBS is very nice hardware, and I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed in it.

[Edit: Ninja'd, but durability is also worth noting--apart from some much older models I've read about, I've never personally seen a failed Apple router, including some that have been in service for 5+ years. Linksys, not so much--I've had two fail personally, have another from a client sitting in the recycle bin downstairs. That's why I don't buy from them anymore.]