Advice on purchasing the new 13 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gotjack, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Gotjack macrumors newbie

I will be purchasing the lastest entry level 13 inch macbookpro. I realise poepl on the forums have been claiming it is a poor upgrade, but i a graduating student (so discount time is running out), ive been waiting for 2 months and finally, i need a laptop and i tink this will easily suffice.

My questions really are about getting a case for it? It will be heavily used, and im thinking of getting a hard case and a soft case for it. The hard case not too obtrusive, and the soft case designed for ease of transportation.

I do plan on seelling the macbook pro in say 3 years, so am looking to keep it in good shape.

Could people please provide links of appropriate cases from UK vendors. Cheers

2. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Best advice... go to the apple store, buy a brand new LAST YEAR (2010) model for a $100-$150 discount off list price.

3. Gotjack thread starter macrumors newbie

I am a student so already recieve this discount on new products. The discount doesnt count on refurbs however. so this would be pointless. As i would recieve approximately the same discount on a new product

4. DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

Def buy last gen. battery life is 3 hours better.

5. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

stop saying *********, it lasts the same. they just tested it in a different way to be more accurate. My friend's new 2010 model lasted 6-7 hours. Just like the new generation. How about that?

6. TomCondon macrumors regular

no it's not... the real world values for the old one was 7 hours... apple just made the battery times more realistic...

7. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Forget about getting a hard case for it. I've never had such in the 15+ years I've been using laptops and they always look like new when I go to sell them.

As for a "soft case" I assume you mean to tote it around. I highly suggest a TSA compatible messenger or briefcase style case. That way you don't have to take the computer out of your bag during screening. Makes traveling less of a hassle but most importantly it's the best way to keep your computer looking good.

Personally I have a Tumi butterfly style case and love it. Computer compartment is in the back and front it for papers and other electronics. When I go through screening I release a latch and the bag folds flat. Brilliant.

8. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

Denial - the 15 and 17 inch MBPs are listed as having the same battery life, while the 13" dropped by 3 hours. No matter how they changed their testing, a 3 hour drop means there is less battery life than the 2010 model to at least some degree.

Id say get the 2010 model if you would like the better GPU, or if you really dont care about the sandy bridge processors in the new 13".

9. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I have a skin from skinit on mine just to protect the top.

As for case I use a padded soft case with a strap. Makes it easy to carry around and I just make sure anytime I'm moving it it goes into the soft case. I'd rather not have to have some thick hard shell that makes the computer thicker and in my opinion makes it look tacky (of course I'm sure some people think the skin I chose looks tacky too ;) but at least it doesn't make it look thicker and you probably could find a skin you like).

I personally like my incase soft case. Isn't exactly the same but close enough, I guess they stopped making mine. It fits like a sleeve for the computer (it's padded like a sleeve as well) but has pockets to take other stuff (like power cord, my magic mouse, an iphone connection cable, some CDs/pens/paper). Fits a lot of extras actually. You can take off the shoulder strap and it fits in your backpack with the computer easily enough (like a sleeve), or you can put the shoulder strap on and carry the computer separately if you don't need your backpack or want to use the space in the backpack for something else.