Advice on RAID/External storage setup.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stevenlangley1, Feb 21, 2011.

1. stevenlangley1 macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

I've come realized that I need a better setup for external storage. I've been researching RAID setups and think I have the basics of it down. I've been looking at this http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20World%20Computing/MEQX2T4.0S/ 4 bay setup from OWC, but I'm not certain if It'll accomplish what I want.

I want to be able to have two seperate RAID 1 setups inside the enclosure. I'd like to be able to write to drive 1 and 2 as a pair and then 3 and 4 seperately. Does that make sense.

Can I do that with this enclosure? If not anyone know of a setup that'll let me do this?

I'll be using this with my MBP 5,1 via eSATA.

2. OWCMichael macrumors newbie

OWCMichael

The Qx2 enclosure will allow you to select only one RAID volume, what you're describing would be two separate RAID volumes in the same enclosure. I'm not aware of any enclosures that would do that and still provide a hardware-based RAID to both.

Either you could go with two separate RAID 1 capable enclosures sitting side-by-side such as the Newer Technology Guardian Maximus , or you can use a port-multiplier type enclosure such as the OWC Mercury Rack Pro where the hard drives can be setup as independent volumes on the hardware end, and two separate software-based RAID arrays could then be setup the way you describe.

3. stevenlangley1 thread starter macrumors regular

stevenlangley1

Thanks for your input. After doing a little more research and being a little more realistic about my needs, I think a single Gaurdian Maximus RAID 1 w/2x3TB drives will work best for me for the time being. Now I just need to hit the BUY NOW button..lol. Again thanks.