Advice on RAM/CPU

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Apple3.14, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Apple3.14 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I know many of these threads pop up so I apologise if it's been covered, but I would just like some advice on buying a new rMBP. My main use will be for photo editing (Lightroom etc) off a gopro, some video edits as well as the usual Web browsing, music/movie downloading etc. I have a 4k tv which I'd like to connect to via the macbook, but I've seen mixed results in trying this depending on the system. Can the 13" perform at 60hz?

I'm looking at the new 13" rMBP, 2.7 i5, possibly with 16gb RAM and at least 256gb storage. I understand the new 15" is also an option, but I don't want to spend the extra money if it's not needed.

Is there major benefits in the dual core vs quad core for the tasks I wish to perform? Also how big of a deal is RAM? The 13" comes standard with 8gb but I've seen many people say it's wise to upgrade.

Any advice and feedback will be appreciated.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Firstly the 4K TV the 13 is fine it'll do 60hz but only if your TV has a display port input if you are relying on HDMI then you'll only get 30Hz, unfortunately you needed to ask these questions before you bought the TV.

Quad core will be much better for lightroom and video editing but if you aren't professional and this is just a hobby the 13 inch will do it fine if a fair bit slower for rendering etc.

RAM is only any use if you use it all it seems that your usage will be fairly light so if you aren't running VMs and your video editing is light then 8gb should be plenty.

3. Apple3.14 thread starter macrumors newbie

The beauty of hindsight I suppose. Silly question, how do I know if it has display port input?

The 13" i5 2.9/8/512 Prices up at $2499AU against the 15" i7 2.2/16/256 for $2799AU. +$280 to go to 16mb ram on the 13" and +$420 to go to 512mb storage on the 15". The downfalls of our underperforming dollar. Part of me says I should go the extra bit to future proof, I just don't know if I 'need' it. Down the track I'll potentially upgrade to a DSLR and edit raw files.

Thanks again.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well check the specs of your TV or take a look at the inputs on the back of it.

Only you can decide what you need RAW files will work on the 13 inch but for 4K video and massive files the quad core and better GPU in the 15 inch will be faster.

It's not a case of wether both computers can do the tasks it's how quickly and smoothly you want to do them.

Only you can decide how much you can spend and what your priorities are I'm afraid. If you can get by with 256gb and external storage and the cloud then that 15 inch is far more bang for your buck...

5. Apple3.14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Could only see HDMI ports back there, bummer. Will HDMI 2.0 achieve the same result, or am I out of luck?

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You are out of luck, there are no mini DP to HDMI 2.0 converters available, and the HDMI 1.4 on the mac won't do it

7. Apple3.14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Given the events of today with broadwell and the likelihood of skylake/redesign in 12 months time I think I might hold off, not super urgent at this stage.

I have a friend selling a mid/late 2014 rMBP 13" 2.6/i5/8/128. He's asking $1000AU ($780USD), any thoughts on that price? Seems a lot lower than anything I can find online. Storage would be an issue but could be a good purchase to last me 12-18 months when we may finally see a skylake mbp.

Thanks.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Sounds like a bargain.

Storage can be increased with low profile USB or the likes of the nifty minidrive.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...fty+minidrive&sprefix=Nifty+minidrive,aps,258

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra...33340151&sr=8-1&keywords=sandisk+usb+3.0+64gb