Advice on RAM in Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by htg, Apr 24, 2010.

1. htg macrumors regular

Planning to upgrade my Macbook's RAM.
    Is there a noticeable difference between 2.5 and 3gb of ram?

All I want the extra ram for is to be able to open several programs at once without the cpu totally overheating.

Is 2.5 enough or should I go for 3?

Thanks.

2. macguy78 macrumors member

it really depends. However, in all likelihood, you're not going to see a difference. If you're into opening several programs at once quickly, then you might want to consider a solid state hard drive.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How much does the extra 512MB cost? It's only 512MB and won't really speed up app launching as that's HD+CPU intensive, not RAM really.

Amount of RAM doesn't cool down CPU, they have totally different meanings

4. htg thread starter macrumors regular

so if I want my computer to be faster application wise, i should buy an ssd?

what type of ssd would work with my macbook (it is late 2007 intel core 2 duo 2 ghz)?

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

SSD will speed up opening applications, so if that's what you're looking for, yes. Any 2.5" SATA will work, I recommend Intel and OCZ

6. Kingcodez macrumors 6502

Kingcodez

Cheaper way to see performance increase:
    Buy 4 gigs of RAM.
    Install a newer HDD, buy a 250, 320, or 500 GB Western Digital Hard Drive.
    WD2500BEVT, WD3200BEVT or WD5000BEVT.
    Just go to newegg.com and search for that. it's the exact one you need.
    The HDD should be $80 for the 500GB drive, maby 40-60 for the 250. I don't know it's been awhile for the 250, that's small so it shouldn't cost too much.

The more expensive way:
    Buy 4 gigs of ram.
    Buy an Intel SSD ($120, $240, and $430 for the 40GB, 80GB, and 160GB models.)

When you turn the computer on, it will be usable in 30 seconds, and you can open 20 applications in maby 2-4 seconds lol.

They are expensive, but fast. I don't think you really need it that fast, you just need the 'feel' of a newer computer. More specifically, a newer hard drive and more RAM. Going from 2-4 RAM is nice. 2 isn't really enough for me at all, and the smoothness of having 4GB is awesome.