Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

socalscout

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
My platters died yesterday, and since the Macbook's HD is so easy to swap out, I'm going to skip the $360 price tag at the Mac store and do it myself.
I'm wondering what might be the best brand and model to replace it with?
Generally speaking, I've had success with Seagate, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Scout

Milk*is*tasty

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
I'm totally clueless on HD's for laptops, really, but in general I really like WD and Samsung. Their 3.5" disks are cooler and more quiet than the rest, and in Samsungs case, they have superiour platter density. Have no idea if they sell laptop-sized drives with less platters than the rest like they do on desktop though.

Let me know what you find out :)

pr5owner

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2007
are you kidding me? $350+ for a f*king HDD?

at costco you can get an EXTERNAL WD 250GB for $120 (YES THATS FRIGGIN WITH THE ENCLOSURE!)

absolute worse laptop HDD today = Toshiba
garbage HDD = fujitsu

best value for the money = Samsung (middle of the list in terms of speed and performance but samsung is the cheapest and has a kick ass warranty)

better performance = Seagate/WD (i would buy one from seagate personally, 5 yr warranty)

best performance = seagate/hitachi/WD 7200RPM drives. do you really need it in your laptop?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Go with newegg, but make sure that you get a SATA 1.5 and NOT a PATA or EIDE drive. Only SATA will work in the MB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.