Advice on replacement HD for Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by socalscout, Jan 15, 2008.

1. socalscout macrumors newbie

My platters died yesterday, and since the Macbook's HD is so easy to swap out, I'm going to skip the $360 price tag at the Mac store and do it myself.
    I'm wondering what might be the best brand and model to replace it with?
    Generally speaking, I've had success with Seagate, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Scout

2. Milk*is*tasty macrumors member

I'm totally clueless on HD's for laptops, really, but in general I really like WD and Samsung. Their 3.5" disks are cooler and more quiet than the rest, and in Samsungs case, they have superiour platter density. Have no idea if they sell laptop-sized drives with less platters than the rest like they do on desktop though.

Let me know what you find out :)

3. natallica macrumors 6502

4. ceiph macrumors regular

i just put a 320 gb samsung in my macbook from newegg, awesome drive

5. hierobryan macrumors 6502a

just wondering - can i take out my macbook drive and use it as an external USB/Firewire drive?

6. pr5owner macrumors 65816

are you kidding me? $350+ for a f*king HDD?

at costco you can get an EXTERNAL WD 250GB for $120 (YES THATS FRIGGIN WITH THE ENCLOSURE!)

absolute worse laptop HDD today = Toshiba
    garbage HDD = fujitsu

best value for the money = Samsung (middle of the list in terms of speed and performance but samsung is the cheapest and has a kick ass warranty)

better performance = Seagate/WD (i would buy one from seagate personally, 5 yr warranty)

best performance = seagate/hitachi/WD 7200RPM drives. do you really need it in your laptop?

7. QFace macrumors member

QFace

yes... you just need to buy an external enclosure for your hard drive. make sure the enclosure fits a hd of 2.5"

here is a good example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817146604

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Go with newegg, but make sure that you get a SATA 1.5 and NOT a PATA or EIDE drive. Only SATA will work in the MB.

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, you just need to get an enclosure that can handle a 2.5" SATA drive.