Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bRADYPUS

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
The burn in issue of my 15'' rMBP screen is getting more serious.
I hv a apple store close to me, and I hv never replaced any product from apple yet, so can anyone tell me how to do it?
I would like to replace the whole thing.
Should i just bring it and talk to the genius or call them first?
Thanks.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
They won't replace the whole thing. They'll send it in for service and replace the top cover, which contains the display. The rest of the machine will remain as is, which is normal for warranty service. If you were within the return period, you could just return/exchange the unit. You can make an appointment, but the genius bar doesn't take phone calls. Talking to an Applecare rep won't really do anything if you're taking it in to the Genius Bar anyway.

bRADYPUS

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
They won't replace the whole thing. They'll send it in for service and replace the top cover, which contains the display. The rest of the machine will remain as is, which is normal for warranty service. If you were within the return period, you could just return/exchange the unit. You can make an appointment, but the genius bar doesn't take phone calls. Talking to an Applecare rep won't really do anything if you're taking it in to the Genius Bar anyway.

thank you.
Is there anyway to choose the samsung screen instead of the LG screen?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
thank you.

You could ask, but they don't have to use one or the other. From what I've been reading the burn in issue isn't nearly as bad(basically nonexistent? I never noticed it on any if the rMBPs I've used anyway) on the newer displays.

bRADYPUS

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
You could ask, but they don't have to use one or the other. From what I've been reading the burn in issue isn't nearly as bad(basically nonexistent? I never noticed it on any if the rMBPs I've used anyway) on the newer displays.
Cool, thz brick:eek:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
thank you.

I doubt it. If they're replacing too many LG screens, they may more likely to use samsung screens for replacement parts.

bRADYPUS

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2011
I doubt it. If they're replacing too many LG screens, they may more likely to use samsung screens for replacement parts.

thz again lev;) I will try to talk to the genius about it.

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
The burn in issue of my 15'' rMBP screen is getting more serious.
I hv a apple store close to me, and I hv never replaced any product from apple yet, so can anyone tell me how to do it?
I would like to replace the whole thing.
Should i just bring it and talk to the genius or call them first?
Thanks.

Get a cMPB it has more options while though no Retina display it will more than make you happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.