Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Richdj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Hi Guys

As I mentioned in a previous thread earlier today, I m happily just buying the new MBP, unfortunately my 2.8gzh one i bought 3 months ago had a small dropping accident 2 weeks ago and cannot be repaired economically.
However I do want to sell this for spares / repair.

The main problem except for the slight cosmetic damage is the optical drive does not work, everything else seems fine, although the engineeer did say there is possibililty of hairline cracks on the mother board hence the non economic repair.

My question is simply this ...
What is the best was to reset my mac once I have migrated it to the new one so that none of my information is viewable on the one im selling and all my programmes/ final cut, logic etc are cleaned off.
I dont remember getting a disc with the laptop when i bought it to do a reinstall, and now the optical drive does not work i will not be able to create one if thats the answer.
Any help from u guys appreciated!!

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
If both your Macs have Firewire, use Target Disk Mode and then Disk Utility to securely erase the HDD on the old MBP.

2489809877_c3e0989d9b.jpg

eraseoptions486x467.jpg

Richdj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
thanks for that, and will i just dump everything else in the trash , application wide and then delete the user ids ?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
With Disk Utility you can either delete the free space, which is available after you put everything into the Trash and emptied it (the arrow does point to it) or you can delete the entire HDD with the ERASE button and also select a SECURE ERASE option by clicking the SECURITY OPTIONS button.
Then no manual deletion is necessary, as you delete the entire HDD.

Richdj

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
But if i delete the entire HDD what about the os ?

I need to leave it as I recieved it when i got it as Im selling it. Maybe im just being totally dumb here so sorry if i am .

I cannot use a reinstal disk as the optical drive does not work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.