Advice on Retna MacBook Pro 13" 1tb SSD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rodedwards, Jan 27, 2014.

  1. rodedwards macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    #1
    Hi !

    I've been waiting for some time to buy a new Apple laptop as I currently own a 13" Black 2009 Macbook. I like the new retna MacBook Pro.

    I need it to run CS6 but also FCP X. I also shoot high res timelapse and raw video so i need a large 1Tb internal drive.

    It's the 1tb SSD that makes the top of the range 13" rMBP so expensive as they are another £400 in UK for just an extra 512Mb storage. The lower spec models won't allow for a 1Tb SSD and so this makes the model over £2069 from the Apple Store. A lot of money for a laptop.

    When do you guys think a 1Tb SSD will be available for the lower spec models ? I'm not too worried about processor speed but need the extra internal storage space ?

    Is it likely that in March the standard Macbook will be discontinued and the rMBP will start to come down in price ?

    I would buy now but the 1tb SSD really is an expensive addition ...

    Any advice is appreciated ! Thanks ... :D
     
  2. Samuelsan2001, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014

    Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2013
    #2
    1 TB is it really necessary??

    I can understand the want for a large internal hard drive but I would suggest that the 512gb version with a 2tb ultra thin external HD (usb 3 or thunderbolt) would be a much better use of your money and will easily slip into your bag or pocket. The transfer rates are rapid and you could work with all your files on the still large internal ssd and then transfer them to the external hd when finished to make room for further work.

    To answer your question about price though I would say thats highly unlikely (no chance in my opinion), Apple have lowered the rMBP prices significantly on the last release and the next update is unlikely before autumn this year. You may want to look out for a refurb when they start to appear in the UK online store (may be a month or two yet) and you could pick up one with a 1tb from there with a pretty good discount I can't see them coming up often though.
     
  3. rodedwards thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    #3
    Thanks Samuelsan2001 ... i think i need an internal drive as i use an external 1tb usb 3 drive to back up my laptop on shoots. With pro photography, we can't afford to lose images from a shoot.

    I'm guessing i need to bite the bullet and just buy the Mac i need but them 1tb ssd's are still real expensive. :eek:
     
  4. Zea74 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2008
    Location:
    Belgium
    #4
    I agree with Samuelsan2001.
    For the extra $500 to go from 500GB SSD to 1TB SSD, you can buy a few USB3 2TB HDs. You won't notice speed difference, you'll have actually MORE storage AND you can take backups of both SSD and external disk (well, better buy 1TB for data and 2TB for backup, otherwise it won't match - and that'll still leave you some money to spend). The rMBP does come with two USB3 ports, so the backup argument is not valid - you can do that as well, while having a second disk for external storage. And like this you won't need to wait until whenever.
     
  5. PabloGS macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2007
    Location:
    Europe
    #5
    Honestly I'm still on my Late 2008 MacBook Pro and I'd say: Wait at least two to three more months. Usually MacBooks get updated every 166 days (see the Buyer's Guide). And SSD Prices are slipping fast. Roughly 20% the last three months: Price History for Crucial M500 SSD 960GB

    Chances are, the next speed bump might offer more SSD for less.

    But I tend to agree with Samuelsan2001 too. Go for external drives if it isn't too much of a burden for you.

    Catch is: I also like to have my Data internally. I've been thinking of moving the iTunes (using TuneSpan) and Aperture Library to an external network disc, but there is no nice way I know of to use time capsule to backup a network disk.

    As I'm still happy with my MacBook Pro, I'll wait till the Broadwell MacBooks come out later this year / early next year. No need to hurry :)
     
  6. rodedwards thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2010
    #6
    Thanks Pablo ... that's the advice i wanted to hear and it also makes sense :)

    Link i'll wait until the next refresh and see how ssd prices are.

    I'd keep my black macbook if i could but FCP X won't work with the old graphics card.

    Thanks to you all for your advice ...
     
  7. RMXO macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Sep 1, 2009

Share This Page