Advice on rMBP and Accessories

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mirascael, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Mirascael macrumors member

Hi there,

I need to buy a Notebook in order to be able to move around our appartment (so I can do stuff and be with the baby at the same time). An iPad won't do and I got a tablet anyway.

What I want to do is basically the usual stuff everyone does and maybe some amateur programming (Java, MAMP, C, Javascript), Logic Pro (got 2 decent synthesizers) and perhaps some iTunes (though I probably might want another machine with more storage capacity for that). I will most likely not use Bootcamp on this one nor run any VM-stuff such as Parallels.

While I like the form factor of the 13" (and think the medium version (8 GB / 256 GB) might suffice, I wonder whether the 15" wouldn't be the better buy (the screen is awesome) due to better performance (quad-core + iris PRO) and the awesome screen, even though it might be a bit clunky due to its size (I am also kinda scared that the current line-up is not that awesome as new technological progress with regard to CPU and display can already been seen on the horizon, thus I wouldn't want to spend too much money unless it's really worth it). I might also acquire next generation's MacMini and Thunderbolt Display (unless my wife casts a veto on these, that is).

My first question:

1. Is the upgrade to 15" really worth the price difference?

I do know that in the end I have to answer this question myself, but maybe someone could share his experiences with both the 13" + 15" rMBPs with regard to performance and screen size.

Next the accessories:

As my 2008-iMac crashed after like 13 months (WoW and WAR destroyed the Graphic Card, under OS X, the machine felt always way too hot on top of that), I'm dead set on acquiring an ACPP. Additionally, I am considering the AirPort Time Capsule 2TB for back-ups and sharing files with the family, I don't need a router though.

Also, I might need an external drive. While I am aware that there are way cheaper, decent devices out there on the market, I do like the official Apple USB SuperDrive, though I heard it would kinda suck reliabilitywise.

My question regarding the accessories:

2. Would you consider buying the AirPort Time Capsule 2TB and/or the Apple USB SuperDrive?

Final question:

3. Are 256 GB sufficient for Logic Pro and can I use an external drive without major performance drops?

Thanks for all answers in advance! :)

Incidentally, I am pretty certain that 8 GB RAM will totally suffice for me, as I haven't encountered any problems with my 4 GB MacMini (2010ish, currently out of order due to squilled coffee) and my (unfortunately defective) 4 GB iMac (2008ish 27", Windows XP - partition working fine).

2. OSMac, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013

OSMac macrumors 65816

Not familiar with Logicpro, but the new 13" 2.4 8/256 is a great device.
    Last years model had some noticeable stutter scrolling web pages
    but the new processor gives a much better experience.

Best of all it runs completely silent and cool under my uses anyhow.

I've used a 15" model and they just are too bulky.
    Unless someone absolutely needs the quad core processor,
    I think most would be happier with the 13.

I use a network storage device, it's fast enough and very useful for multiple devices.

3. lg251 macrumors 6502

For logic pro:

The application itself takes 50gb with the full install (talking about Logic Pro 9 here). So if you start recording various instruments (usually in 24bits) you'll find that it takes a lot of space pretty quickly. Then you'll have plugins, software instruments, etc, you'll save projects with multiple tracks, and bounces/mixdowns, and so on and so forth.

Add to this your music, your other apps, photos, etc. and your full. At least for me 500gb is a minimum (and what I use ln my laptop) with all things considered.

4. Mirascael thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, I was thinking to store/record on an external disk. Would that be an option?

5. troop231 macrumors 603

My suggestion is DO NOT buy the Apple SuperDrive. It has a poor build quality, and it's over-priced for what you get.

Instead, I recommend a USB 3.0 optical drive enclosure, and a Blu-Ray or DVD burner depending on your needs.

6. Mirascael thread starter macrumors member

All right then, thx! :)

Leaves me wondering about the Airport Time Capsule ... :confused:

7. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Yeah, you can get an external Blu-ray drive for less! That's what I plan on doing.

8. lg251 macrumors 6502

Of course this is a better idea (*7.2k RPM drive is a necessity, don't buy a 5.4k), but Logic itself needs to be installed on the HD that has your OSX. All the plugins will be installed with your OSX partition. Only sound library/banks and such could be installed on an external HD.

It all depends on what you really use in terms of space atm. Only you can determine this what you really need.

9. FastEddiebags macrumors 6502

I use the Time Capsule as my time machine backup(of course) and as a wireless external Hd and love it. Movies take a couple seconds to load but its super convenient.

I didn't have a router before hand so that was an important function that I enjoy with the Time Capsule but other people might not necessarily value that.