Advice on rmbp as iMac replacement

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cheezeit, Feb 19, 2015.

1. cheezeit macrumors 6502

Alright currently I'm on the 2013 27" iMac mid model (775mx). I've upgraded ram to 32gb and run a 256ssd on a tb enclosure and have the 1tb internal for storage / boot camp.

At the moment I don't do anything heavy but play Starcraft for fun. I do have quite a bit open like iMessage, spotify, mail, calendar , notes, iTunes App Store and Safari. My job demands that I be able to work on 2 screens so besides my iMac I have a 27" 2k asus monitor.

Now, I tried an iPad for being able to work on the go but it doesn't allow me to create my work, rather just edit it. So I was considering selling my iMac and getting a 15" rmbp and getting another 2k asus monitor to match and working that way and having my laptop docked for home use and mobile for on the go work.

Question now is what do you think I'd get for my iMac and what's the ballpark for the 15" rmbp. Can I do with the 13" to drive 2 monitors? I'd only be using web browsers basically on both externally. Or do I keep my setup and buy a mbp air for otg work? Only down side is I like to keep my things on 1 device and not have to worry about what's installed where etc

2. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

All of your ideas are feasible so its a lot down to preference.

Although the 15" rmbp is certainly able to carried around, it is not the lightest machine in the world. If you are traveling a decent amount or your time for work is largely in a car or on a plane, then the air will be far better for you in that respect. If you are only in web browsers for your work I would certainly think that the mba would be suitable for your needs.

If your travel is limited and/or you essentially just need to be able to pack up your device and carry it to the hotel for instance, the rmbp is a great machine and will allow you to keep much of the same performance ability as you have had with your iMac.

Either option should work well for you.

As far as price, there is no doubt you will make enough off your iMac to buy the mba plus an additional monitor. I think it will depend a lot on where you sell and if people are looking to buy but I definitely don't see you losing money selling the iMac and buying the rmbp either

3. cheezeit thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah the laptop is more of s pack and go to work at lets say Starbucks and not really on the plane or car.

I'm guessing I'm not quite sure what I can get for my iMac and what I should be expecting to pay for a rmbp. I know my monitor is about $300-$400 so I don't mind some out of pocket expense. Thoughts?

iMac 27" i5 mid model with 775mx 2gb, 32gb ram, 1tb, ac, 256ssd in tb enclosure

4. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

Im thinking you should be able to safely assume $1500 for your iMac and maybe a little more depending on if you can find the right buyer and where you are trying to sell (fees associated with eBay etc.)

I just checked the apple refurb store and you can get a nice 15" rmbp for $1469. http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/15

That would leave you about even for those two machines. Obviously a mba would be a few hundred less. I would say that you could saved the cost of your additional monitor by going that route.

I think both have their advantages but if you don't mind the extra weight/size of the rmbp as well as some additional cost, that will certainly give you a similar level of performance to what you are used to with you iMac.

5. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

6. cheezeit thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm afraid a mba wouldn't be enough as a desktop replacement and I'll be wanting more Down the line. Also I need to be able to dual screen my two monitors so I think for that sake it'd have to be either 13" or 15" rmbp correct?

7. imaccooper macrumors regular

imaccooper

Well you can run dual monitors with the mba, but I would think if your having some reservations about using it as a replacement then it may be better to go ahead and get the mbp (assuming cost is not a huge concern as I believe you said before).

The main differences between the 13 and the 15 mbp are the size/weight and the dual vs quad core. As far as I can tell you probably won't benefit from the quad core very much so the 13 will be perfectly fine for you in that regard. if you don't mind giving up a couple inches (and I assume you won't if your running additional monitors anyway), that would be a cheaper option with similar performance.

8. cheezeit thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah screen size difference won't be too bad. Only thing I considered with the 15" was the stronger graphics for when I game but I could just take the savings from the 13-15" and build a little gaming pc. Thanks guess I'll post the computer up and go from there