Advice on screen quality Macbook Pro Retina refurb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CLFlores, May 7, 2015.

1. CLFlores macrumors newbie

I recently purchased an early 2013 MacBook Pro Retina 15 refurb from Apple. I thought that the screen seemed a couple/few clicks less bright than the display models at Apple and Best Buy, so I took mine in to compare side by side. Sure enough, when placed beside the 2014/2015 models the 2013 screen had a grey cast, and was definitely somewhat less bright. Also, the Apple logo on the case glows pink, although a lighter pink than some I've seen.

Given the panel lottery I've read about, I don't know whether to return the refurb and order another of the same, or purchase a lower end 15 (no discrete graphics) new. At least at Best Buy and Apple in my area all of the display models are very bright...are people still having problems getting yellowish tint screens on current 2014s? Also, are the pink logos indicative of an overall problem with a given screen?

Thanks for any advice or info.

2. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

The logo should not be glowing pink. It sounds to me like there may be an issue going on with the backlight of your Macbook Pro. I would consider getting it looked at by the Apple Store Genius Bar if possible. They should offer a repair for the display, of course an exchange is an option, or return for refund but thats all going to come down to your opinion of the situation. Personally I prefer the 2014 versions, but there isn't anything inherently wrong with the 2013 versions. The most recent 15" versions are great too, and if you are not planning on gaming, the Iris Pro graphics solution is more then enough(many games will run fine with this too if thats your thing). I have a 2014 rMBP myself with iGPU and dGPU, and many times I use the iGPU exclusively.

3. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Retina screens on rMBPs suffer from yellowing at bottom and magetaish casts at the top. It's a design flaw. Even smartphones suffer from uneven tinting. Usually the backlight is installed at the bottom region, so the color cast changes when travelling up to the top. The solution for achieving a better uniformity would be backlighting both the bottom and the top regions, or providing "per-pixel" calibration like some Eizo displays can do.

4. Laserducky macrumors regular

Laserducky

All these shops/stores keep their Mac's brightness all the way to the top ..so that might be one reason why yours is not so bright.

Apart from this, screens quality vary all the time (unfortunately) even after the money paid to Apple.

The logo also has a pinkish glow to many people.

Cheers !