All iPads Advice on second iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by MacMandy, Feb 23, 2014.

1. MacMandy macrumors 6502

MacMandy

Hi everyone,

I've had a 128GB wifi iPad Air since launch, and I love it. Unfortunately, so does the rest of my family! I'll be getting a small windfall in the next few days and was considering buying another iPad. The reason for getting 128gb was to be able to have lots of music and videos when I visit family quite regularly who live out in the sticks with slow internet.

I think a second device would perhaps only need 32gb, but maybe cellular/3G would be useful. Here are my options I think:-

1. Another iPad Air but 32gb.

2. Ipad mini retina 32gb and maybe add cellular?

3. Something cheaper like a kindle hdx (I have Prime) or a Nexus 7?

A retina display is a must. I mainly use the iPad Air (and will still have use of it sometimes!) for films, TV like iplayer, ebooks, games, email, surfing, notes. There's not much I don't use it for!

I'd like to get the most bang for buck. I did have a root round the forums, but didn't come across anyone in my position with a part-time ipad.

I also have a kindle Paperwhite, which I may sell if I get a smaller tablet for reading ebooks.

Thanks in advance :)

Mandy

2. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I would recommend an iPad Mini Retina Cellular. I have an iPad Air for home and tend to use the Mini Retina Cellular for reading and out of the house. With a T-Mobile SIM you can get the free 200 MB of LTE Data a month that would come in handy when you are away from the house.

3. MacMandy thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMandy

I think I'm agreeing with you there. A more portable tablet is probably deserving of a 3G connection. Here in the UK, our choices are different, and I'm thinking of doing PAYG on EE 4G.

Does anyone else have both a full size ipad and a mini too?

4. RickTaylor macrumors 6502a

In your position, I think I'd get a retina mini. Since you already have an Air, you'd be able to compare them and you'd have two weeks to return it if you decided you really liked the Air better. Also, LTE can be very convenient, especially for a more portable device.

5. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

I have a 32GB Air cellular and my son has a retina mini 32GB cellular. Is there anything in particular you wanted to compare?

Other than an initial inspection and account setup, I haven't spent any time on the rmini.

6. MacMandy thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMandy

Thanks for your post. I'd like it to compliment the iPad Air which is now being used by the whole family of five. I think I'm going with cellular 32Gb mini retina. Just have to decide on the colour now. iPad Air is white.

7. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

ipad mini is a great choice. I love the space gray color, and why get the same color as the one you have? unless you want to match everything. up to you.

8. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

What about a refurbished fourth gen iPad? Prices are great right now and it's a good device. Snagged one for the wifey which has been working great so far.

9. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

iPad mini would be my recommendation - it complements so well the Air. I have both and love them both, but use them for (mostly) very different things.

The Air is always on the coffee table in the living room (or in the kitchen displaying recipes), while I take my mini with me wherever I go (throw it in my bag), plus I use it to do a lot of reading (I also have a Paperwhite, which I love, but it doesn't do things like PDFs or magazines as well as the mini) on it.

Plus the diminutive size of the mini makes it perfect for playing games (that require more holding of the device - I use the Air to play board games and card games and games like Trexels).

If you get another iPad, no matter which one, it won't be the wrong choice, both are such great devices. Good luck and enjoy your new device, whatever it is.

10. MacMandy thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMandy

Thank you for your post. Can I ask which capacities you have on the Air and Rmini? Do you have cellular on either of them?

I'm down to two options. 64gb wifi or 32 gb cellular. Definitely getting the Rmini, and maybe a pink Smart Cover and keeping it in my bag will stop my boys grabbing it ;)

11. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000

WilliamLondon

My current rMini is 128GB - the first mini I had was only 32GB and I found that with all the games I play (some more than 1GB!) I was moving games on and off a lot, plus I have lots of school articles and PDFs that take up a lot of space, so I went with the max this time as I hope to have this mini for a few years. With the Air I got the 64GB because I don't play as many games on it and don't need the space - I'm nowhere near capacity on either, but I do enjoy having the room on both to fill with all the great apps that keep getting released.

As for cellular, I am fortunate in that I live in a city that has so many WiFi options I don't need to pay the telcos more money for cellular - we have free Wifi in many underground stations (all the ones I use), at work for me, at school and at many restaurants, so a cellular version wouldn't be any benefit but would just cost more.

My first generation iPad I went with a MiFi device which was useful to have when I took longer train journeys, and that ended up cheaper than the cost of cellular on the iPad, plus my laptop was able to connect to it and use the connection when needed which I found useful.

Hope that helps!

12. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

Don't forget the cellular model has GPS. The wifi model doesn't.

13. MacMandy thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMandy

I'm in Manchester, UK which is pretty good for wifi. I have wifi at work, I can hotspot to my iPhone (which is a pain and battery draining) when there's no wifi, but I don't tether very often. I'm starting to sway towards the larger 64Gb wifi only now after writing a list of my apps and games and totting up the total gets me to 28Gb which is on the edge.

14. L T macrumors 6502

L T

I would get the cellular one,

My iphone is on EE so I got my iPad air on Vodaphone. I figured that if I didn't have signal on one then I'd have it on the other

15. MacMandy thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMandy

Ok. Decision made. I'm going for the 32gb with 3G iPad mini retina. I may have to use the 14 day return policy to swap it for a higher capacity and lose the 3G, but I think I'll be ok. The thing that swings it for me with the 3G is that I'm going on a narrowboat holiday this summer and the easy internet and GPS would be so useful. I can get 6GB PAYG for £20 for 90 days with EE to start with. No commitment. And the 4G connection could be used as a hotspot too. We only have 3G phones.

I'm also getting a pink Smart Cover. I have a red smart case for my iPad Air which is great as it protects the whole ipad, but I think I'd like to go a little lighter with the mini, and the pink colour is to keep my boys away from it ;)

Thank you to everyone that gave advice. I really appreciate having this forum. None of my family or friends understand the stress of making the right decision. They just leave me to do it all, then reap the benefits of the gadgets!

16. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

cheap price is Nook HD+ :apple:

17. MacMandy thread starter macrumors 6502

MacMandy

I thought I'd let you know what I ended up with. I went to the Apple Store in the Trafford Centre and was all ready to buy the RMini 32Gb with cellular, and I got chatting to one of the sales people and he suggested I probably didn't need the cellular. He said I've got 14 days to change it if I find myself in situations where having GPS or 4G data would have been really beneficial.

At the moment I'm using around 20Gb of my storage, and again, if I need to go up to 64gb, then I have 2 weeks to decide.

I found myself emailing on the RMini while watching Netflix on the iPad Air. A double iPad moment :eek:

18. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I prefer the iPad Air Cellular for travelling and when out of the house, bigger screen for maps, movies and news. May get a mini for a e-reader and Sonos controller.

----------

That is one reason why my travel iPad is always cellular.