Advice on selling a Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Apocrypha, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Apocrypha macrumors newbie

Hello everyone, long time reader first time poster. I have a small problem I'm hoping some of you can help with...

I've been the proud owner of a mac pro for about nine months now, but future living/travel arrangements are going to make owning a desktop impossible.

I'm new to the world of selling Macs and I am unsure about the best course of action when, in a few months (roughly the same time as the MacBook Pro 17-inch update!), I'll want to ditch my computer. I know about Ebay and Craigslist but also heard horror stories about scams and whatnot. Does anyone have any tips and advice or places to sell/methods to use?

Thanks for your time!

2. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I've sold a few macs on craigslist in the past. I always felt you could get slightly better prices for your machine there as well as avoid the hassle of shipping.

In terms of protecting yourself, make sure you meet the seller in a crowded place such as a starbucks, not near the door or my personal favorite is inside a bank where the automated banking machines are. Usually, I deposit the money right after it's handed to me. The cctv cameras in the bank also ensure the buyer doesn't try anything funny. Another option is to get them to do a direct bank transfer.

That said, I realize the mac pro is abit heavy to lug around to banks or coffee shops so i guess the alternative is to state firmly that you only accept pick ups, and when the buyer comes, ensure you are not alone.

Do not deliver as you'll be placing yourself in an unknown environment. The best scenario is to always ensure you are somewhat in control of the place you're meeting etc.

lastly, it's not that bad selling on craigslist and have had good experiences so far. I did hear about someone getting robbed in person but that's why I said make sure you're in control of the environment and make sure its a public place. The fact is that a mac pro is harder to get away with shouldn't be an excuse to take it easy.

3. Apocrypha thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmmm, thanks for the advice zer0tails, although I admit I'm not too keen about an in-person meeting or pickup. Perhaps I'm just paranoid though.

4. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

It's easy to buy and sell off craigslist because you are meeting the person face to face. I think it's wise to be cautious and common sense will go along way, but being paranoid will serve no purpose other than to create a hostile environment. I've bought and sold stuff in person many times over the years and have NEVER had a problem. Most folks are decent if you're in the right neighborhood and frame of mind. I had one guy buy around 10K of camera equipment from me and we did if over coffee at my house. I've bought and sold out of bank and shopping center parking lots, and out of starbucks. If you're careful and do your business in a public place, you're not going to have trouble. What are they going to do... pickup your Macpro and try to run off with it? LOL! Still, make sure you deal with cash only and watch for counterfeit bills. If you do the deal in a parking lot next to a Fedex place, you can get copies of drivers license etc. Or just ask them to bring copies of identity. You offer them the same thing in return. Be courteous and you'll have no problems. If you try to do the deal at the other person home, or late at night, you're asking for trouble. Finally, it might be a good idea to find a place that will allow you to plug your computer in so that they can check it out. If I were to sell mine, I'd move it out to the living room and let them come over to check it out. But that's just me... I like to think I can trust people most of the time.

5. munnstermac macrumors newbie

Im thinking of selling my imac on ebay but I am only willing to do a collection, do you think it is unwise to do it at my own property. I am 6ft 2" and weigh in at 18 stone but in our modern day you just cant tell. I am more concerned about repercussions etc,

Thanks guys,

munnstermac