Advice on selling a macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ranho, Apr 5, 2018.

1. ranho macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have a MacBook Pro early 2015, Broadwell i5 2.7GHz, 256gb SSD and 8GB of RAM which I would like to sell to help for a purchase of a iMac, specially for video editing (amateurish) and because I already own a iPad which would suffice for websurfing in the couch.

I live in the UK and have all of the original boxes and cables and the laptop is in great condition. Is there a simple way to sell it avoiding gumtree (craigslist of UK) or eBay as I don't want to really waste time on those and how much money should I aim for the sale?

Thank you in advance

2. Darmok N Jalad macrumors 65816

Darmok N Jalad

Can't help you on the service to sell it, other than maybe use your company bulletin board if you work at a large company. You can sell it for a little less, since you won't have to deal with fees and deadbeats.

As for price, check the going rate for a similar item on eBay. Usually Macs have pretty good resale value, and if your machine is in really good shape, you should be able to fetch a decent amount.

3. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I looked to sell my 2017 macbook pro 13 inch with touchbar and had a sale of £1,125 but the guy backed out due to a minor scatch so decided to just keep it. Not had another offer of it since apart from for £850 which i wasn't willing to accept

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

If it's financially possible, KEEP the MacBook Pro even though you get a new iMac.
    There's nothing like having BOTH a great desktop AND a nice laptop, too!

5. ranho thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the answers. I would really like a kinda of a "service" to sell my macbook or at least some tips from other users, mainly because I am afraid of how to do the transaction safely, in terms of getting the money as I seen a lot people being burned in deals.

My biggest point in asking is that I always see people referring to mac devices retaining more value and I though it would be easier to sell it.

I see little point of having the laptop, the iPad and the iMac (and the smartphone which is a Samsung S8). I travel quite a lot but only use the iPad in my travels... I see little benefit on having so many devices.

Best regards,
    Tiago

6. mark-in-mk macrumors 6502

mark-in-mk

Wait for a £1 max fees deal from eBay, put it on there and only accept Paypal. You should be OK with their protection.