Advice on selling a upgraded 13 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pinchez, Jun 10, 2012.

1. pinchez macrumors member

Hi all

I need to sell my MacBook Pro as I've had unexpected bill and as I don't use this since I bought the New iPad it seems right to let it go :(

I'm from the UK so an estimate in £'s would be great, I also need to sell it ASAP so it would probably best to sell it on eBay.

Specs:-
    13.3" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, Nvidia Graphics (Mid 2010)
    Backlit Keyboard
    Superdrive (only used a handful of times)
    Upgraded to 8GB Memory
    Upgraded to Crucial M4 256GB SSD
    OSX Lion
    1 Years Apple Cover remaining
    All original packaging and contents
    Remote Control
    Mini Display Port to HDMI Adaptor
    Neoprene Slip Case

It is no exaggeration to say that this thing looks brand new with no scratches or blemishes anywhere, everything about it is absolutely perfect. It's not had much use at all and 95% of the use it's had as been on mains power.

Like I said I'm looking to sell ASAP so what would be a fair Buy it Now price to ask?

Also never sold anything of this sort of value on eBay before, are there any safeguards I can take to prevent being scammed or a paypal charge back?

2. jdiamond, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

jdiamond macrumors 6502

My advice is to sell fast....

I've been following the market, and right now, mid 2010 13" Macbook Pros in your condition are selling at $900 = 600 pounds. If that figure sounds disappointing to you, consider the amazement that you can sell your 2 year old model for only 200 pounds less than what a brand new one costs, minus the extras... I have occasionally seen 2010 13" MBPs offered for even more than the price of new ones, but I don't know how often they sell...

But once the new Macbook Pros come out next week, that will plummet by 100-200 pounds instantly. Of course, you'll still be able to command the top prices you currently see on eBay due to good cosmetic condition and upgrades.

My advice - do an eBay search on the 2010 13" Macbook Pro, buy it now, completed listings. Look for the ones that sold and the prices. Typically, you get higher prices from Buy It Now than auctions.

As for safety, you can set yourself up to not accept bids from people with under 1 score, but also, look at the buyer's ratings, and look into eBay's protection options. As a seller, you're in a much better position to not get scammed - because you don't have to ship out your computer until you get the money in your bank account. Just make sure to ship it fully insured and with tracking, in case a dishonest buyer were to claim it never arrived.

Good luck - and better hurry. The market will soon be flooded by people wanting to upgrade to the next model!