Advice on selling all my computers and buying a new one!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acseven, Feb 25, 2012.

1. acseven macrumors member

Hi,

I have an array of (getting) old computers which I'm considering to replace with new equipment.

My main workstation is a PC from 2006, with Windows 7 64 bit, 6Gb RAM, Intel E6600 Dual-Core processor, and recently added a Corsair 64Gb SSD which really gave it a boost. This one is connected to a 22in Samsung 1600x1050 monitor, and I use it with an Apple Wireless Keyboard + Wireless trackpad.

I also have two Mac's: a 13 in MacBook Air (late 2008), which is my allround (not-for-hard-work) notebook dispite of being kind of slow with Lion, and a damaged MacBook unibody 13-inch (only works connected to an external screen, mainly the TV).

I must say that I really like Mac OSX, but can't really let go of WIndows 7, which I think is a somewhat better when I need to do intensive work with Office (Excel!) and a multitude of other software (Photoshop, some After Effects, AutoCAD, ...). But that's my thing, so moving on....

I am considering purchasing one of the two packages, considering I would be using Windows 7 (bootcamp'ed) most of the time:

1. Only keep the Macbook Air
    2. Buy Mac Mini 2011 i7 (probably without SSD, way expensive!)
    3. Buy Apple Thunderbolt Display

or

1. Sell everything
    2. Buy MacBook Pro 13 i7 + SSD
    3. Buy Apple Thunderbolt Display

The reason I am considering Mac hardware to run Windows is mainly the construction quality and the overall simplicity of all the equipment functionality when running Mac OSX (in the case of the Thunderbolt display, I believe it'll last a few years, even if I swap the computer, and keep all the extra-functionality it provides)

I am looking for some comments on my decision, and opinions on the Mac Mini and MacBook Pro 13 for overall power user experience.

Sorry for the lenghty post, and thanks in advance!

2. abz1981 macrumors 65816

Hi

Personally, I think you be better selling everything and going for the:
    Buy MacBook Pro 13 i7 + SSD option.

I don't use bootcamp or anything for my mac use. However if your use is mainly going to be windows etc. May be better for the above choice, I mentioned.

3. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Option 2

The Macbook Pro with TBD, do not buy apples SSD buy from somewhere else it will be cheaper, and if you do not know how to install it, craigslist for help, ask friends someone somewhere will help you out cheaper than Apple.

4. foobarbaz macrumors 6502

The Mini without SSD will likely not feel much faster or might actually be a step back.

Consider buying your own SSD and adding it, if price is a concern. But you're already looking at a sizable investment (especially with the Thunderbolt Display), so I think the SSD is definitely not the place to be skimpy.

5. acseven thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies.

What can you tell me about the current configs of either the MacBook Pro and Mac Mini, considering doing some heavy tasks (probably the most intense would be some video editing and compositing, but not gaming), and also that there is a 27' thunderbolt display connected?

6. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

2c. if your use is mainly going to be windows, keep the macbook as your portable machine, and get a mini to run windows on.

why?

battery life under Windows on macs sucks. The power management under windows is crap.