Advice on selling iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by YMark, Sep 24, 2013.

1. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I'm thinking of selling my 2009 iMac now that the new ones were announced.

What precautions should I take before selling?

- If I wipe the hard drive, the new owner won't get Mountain Lion, last DVD I have is for Snow Leopard.

- Should I wipe the hard drive and then install Mountain Lion or let the buyer figure it out.

Any other precautions other than a hard drive wipe?

Thanks

2. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Common......

practice when selling computers in many areas, is to give the computer with the original install discs that come with the machine, or at least a working copy (as last option). Some people charge for the OS upgrade, others dont. Seems to me as an issue to be tackled via a talk with the buyer. It is difficult to set a standard here.....:confused:

:):apple:

3. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

wipe HD to a fresh install. If you want to be cool and give them some of your movies/music/programs reinstalled on the HD after the wipe it can fetch you more money.

I sold my 2009 base model for $650 at the end of August thinking they would be updated at the iPhone event. Just got the new one today for $1,250 w/ the student discount and a 20 minute drive to New Hampshire during lunch(no tax).

Pretty happy with it so far.

4. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

fresh install back to original. include disks. you are under no obligation to sell your upgrade... thats yours.