Advice on selling Iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by IpodMac34, Aug 21, 2010.

1. IpodMac34 macrumors newbie

So I recently became eligible for an upgraded phone from AT&T. I am happy with the phone I have now and was thinking about upgrading to the Iphone 4 for the sole purpose of selling it. My question is, if Im ordering it directly from Apple, what would I need to do before selling it to someone else? Mainly, I'm concerned with the new SIM card and the whole "unlocking" process.

Thanks in advance for the help...

2. tigert07 macrumors regular

ok so you're going to buy the phone and turn around and sell it correct? Well if so, the peorson you sell it to will be able to go to AT&T and get a sim card with their number for free I believe. Also If they're not an AT&T customer they would have to obviously sign a contract.

3. IpodMac34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, but what do I need to do once I get the phone from Apple? Like when I open the box....or should I?

4. tigert07 macrumors regular

I would open the box to remove the sim card, as it will have your number on it. Also you may need to get a new sim for your old phone activated. What phone are you currently using? The iPhone 4 uses a micosim card. It's smaller and probably won't work with your existing phone.

STEPS:
    1. Remove iPhone 4 sim
    2. Sell phone
    3. Go to AT&T and get a free sim for your old phone.

I think this is how it should work.

5. IpodMac34 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah the phone Im using is pretty old...so I can just walk into an AT&T store, give them the iphone SIM (say my phone broke or whatever) and get a new SIM for free?

6. tigert07 macrumors regular

yeah pretty much that will do. I'm 99.9% sure another sim will be free. It's the least they can do for all of us valued AT&T customers :rolleyes:

7. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

They are free, I've had mine replaced a few times. T-Mobile charges $20 though >.>

8. tigert07 macrumors regular

oh boy thats kind of ridiculous.