Advice on selling Mac Pro (2006) setup

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rcastley, Nov 20, 2013.

1. rcastley macrumors newbie

Hi All,

Looking for some advice on whether I should sell my Mac Pro setup as a complete bundle or split it out.

The setup is:-
    Apple Mac Pro (2006) 2 x 2Ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 8Gb RAM, 2 x 1TB HDD, Wireless, Bluetooth, NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256Mb
    Apple 23" Cinema Display (no dead pixels that I can see)
    Apple iSight Camera
    Apple Wireless Keyboard
    Apple Magic Mouse

I have all the original packaging, manuals, cables and software (machine is running Lion). Display and unit in near perfect condition.

Any input/recommendation gratefully received :)

Cheers!

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I think that you can get more by selling those items separately rather than as a package.

3. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

+1 for individual. If I had some spare money the first thing I'd buy for my Mac Pro would be a 23" Cinema Display to upgrade from my 22" ACD.

4. rcastley thread starter macrumors newbie

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you really wanted to maximize your returns. I'd completely disassemble the Mac Pro and sell its individual components.

6. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

man your selling that.. I just bought that exact system a few weeks ago lol..

7. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Sell the display, keyboard/mouse, RAM, and Mac individually. Put 1GB RAM back in. Then when you post anything on Craigslist or Ebay post TONS of pictures. From every angle, from every view point, everything. Show the Mac working, show the apps installed, the specs, everything. In my experience the more pics the better. Number one it safeguards you after the sale, and number two, people like to see what they are getting. The units that only have two or three pics of the outside of the unit seem to sell for maybe 30-50% less than the ones with lots of pictures. Also list every app that is worthwhile (Office, iWork, Photoshop, etc.) and all the part numbers for the different internals. Again, the more information the better the buyer. If you have all the media then you can ask significantly higher than sellers without the media.

Just to give you a bar, base 2006 Mac Pro (which yours is upgraded from) seem to be selling on Ebay from anywhere between $175 shipped and $275 shipped depending on the day and auction. Shipping on a unit like that would run around $40-$50 depending on the carrier and packaging - within the lower 48 that is.