Price Advice Advice on selling MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nick123brown, Aug 12, 2012.

1. nick123brown macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Just thought I'd ask for advice on selling my MacBook Pro (wanting to get a Macbook Air).
    It's the mid 2009 model, however since purchasing it I have upgraded the memory to 8GB using Crucial Memory. I have also put in a 500GB hard drive.
    This week, seeing the warranty was due to run out at the end of this month, I took it into the Apple store to see if they would fix a few issues I have had, they put in a new battery, a new trackpad AND a new disc drive.

My question is, how much should I be asking for this laptop? It's my first Apple laptop so unsure of the going rate for this model. It has a few scratches on the back and 2 of the rubber feet have fallen off.

Could anyone help me out with an estimate?

2. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

Do a search for models similar to yours on eBay to get a general idea of the going prices. Make sure you set the auctions to Watch so you can see what price they finally sell for.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay (including completed sales), or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge. Then adjust your price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

4. philosopherdog macrumors 6502a

philosopherdog

eBay prices tend to be a bit high. I would check kijiji and craigslist for similar machines. It's not always reliable because some people ask way more than they will actually take for it, and some don't have a clue what they're talking about. Once you get a solid idea of the worth, set it and wait for the right buyer. Adobt a zen mind. If after a few weeks you don't get any serious offers then consider dropping the price a bit. It might not be that easy to sell because there are a glut of used ones around with the new release, especially retina, but late August is when a lot of machines change hands. Beware, there are a lot of people looking for something for nothing. Don't start telling yourself stories about whether you will or won't sell it, etc. because next thing you'll be giving it away to one of these types which leads to regret.