Advice on selling the MacBook Pro... or not.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by I9k, Jul 13, 2012.

  1. I9k macrumors newbie

    Jun 17, 2011

    Can you give me some advice on an "existential" doubt i have?

    I own a 2010 MacBook Pro that, two years ago when i bought it, it was for some months the only computer i got at home, so i gave it a lot of use.

    Some months ago i got a new desktop computer (a PC) so, nowadays, I'm using a lot more the desktop and most of the time i barely touch the MacBook, only for some sofa browsing and (at times) for geeking a little bit with Mac OSX terminal, fiddling with MacPorts, Fink,etc (since I'm a UNIX geek).

    Lately, an idea has been growing in my mind: to sell the MacBook Pro and, with the money, buy a (maybe Asus) netbook and the new iPad. Do you think this is wise? Is right this decision?

  2. miles01110 macrumors Core


    Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    If you don't use one mobile device, how is selling and buying two going to change the situation?
  3. Fed macrumors 6502

    Jul 7, 2012
    If you're only using the MacBook to do various UNIX tasks then you may as well do it on hardware a quarter of the price.

    Though the idea of replacing it, in part, with an iPad for sofa browsing is an excellent choice.

    Personally, I would have got rid of the PC but I'm biased.
  4. I9k thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 17, 2011
    Yeah, I'm a UNIX geek but i do most of my geeking in my desktop PC, where i run Linux and FreeBSD.

    As I said, i use sometimes the Mac terminal but, actually, I'm using it more for sofa browsing and that, as if it were a tablet.
    The thing about buying the Asus laptop is for filling my full computing needs in case i travel, etc, and left the iPad for the couch and the bed, etc


    The idea of getting the iPad instead of the MacBook is because I think the former is a lot more comfortable for using it while lying on the sofa or the bed that a laptop, which gets heavy and tiring in a few minutes, no?
  5. I9k thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 17, 2011
    On the other hand, i think about paying 579 euros for the iPad and sometimes i doubt that price is justified for such a device, so I cant decide.
  6. Ifti macrumors 68000

    Dec 14, 2010
    My iPad is used completely for sofa browsing - I use it all the time!! Wouldnt be without it!
  7. BriSpe macrumors regular

    Aug 25, 2010
    I guess you want to buy the 32GB Version?!
    If so...why? For browsing you won't need 32GB. 16GB are enough. And it's "just" €479. Or you can get iPad2 for "just" €399.
  8. I9k, Jul 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2012

    I9k thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 17, 2011
    Yeah, i would get the 32GB version since I'm planning on watching movies and uploading music to the iPad, so i think 16GB is not so much, taking into account that the device doesnt include a SD card slot.

    About the possibility of buying the iPad 2 instead of "the new iPad", i think i'm willing to pay 80 euros more for the new iteration, mostly because of the screen, the leap is huge, the new version of Retina display is way better than in the former iPad.

Share This Page