advice on setup

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by peterjc01, Oct 23, 2007.

1. peterjc01 macrumors newbie

hey everyone, just need some advice on what my setup should be. currently have a mac mini core 2 duo with a 17in lcd monitor. Looking to get a 22 or 24 in lcd monitor (~400 dollars). The total tag from this is roughly 600 for the mini plus the 400 for the new lcd monitor so a grand total of 1k spent.

I was thinking for 1200 I could get the new iMac 20in , 24 is out of my price range. Also I would get a video card (dont play computer games tho), 250gb hd, and a nice glossy screen. Just not sure about the new iMacs. Do they overheat, good for long hrs of use, any potential problems if one thing going wrong with it then all would fail since its built in?

Or I could keep the mini, get the 22-24in lcd and maybe in the future buy a macbook pro and hook it up to the lcd. I will need to buy a notebook for school. Any suggestions from anyone. Thanks!:)

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

if i were you and your going to school i would really just wait and get the mbp. if you already the mini and a nice monitor there really is no point in getting the imac. wait a little bit and when you need the notebook go for it and you won't be dissapointed..at least thats what i think

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

if you can wait, then wait. hopefully they will update the laptops soon, probably in Jan 2008, but i wouldn't buy a notebook until they update them.

and it seems you need to wait and get a notebook

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I also suggest you wait for the notebook. Mine is invaluable for school use, and I don't even take it every day.

Also, if you would be happy with a 20" iMac, then why not at 20" external monitor? Save yourself some money now by going a little smaller, and you'll be able to purchase a notebook that much sooner.

5. peterjc01 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry if i was a bit unclear. I want to buy a nice lcd monitor which would be around 300-400 dollars. I would have spent close to 1k on the setup, so I was wondering if spending 200 dollars more to get the imac which comes with 250gb, 20in glossy screen, easy to install ram vs mini, and a vid card(which really doesnt matter to me, its just a bonus) would be of better value.

I will need to get an external hd for the mini if i do keep the setup and add 2gigs of ram as well. Just not sure what to do, 20 in imac is good but maybe a 22 in would be better w/ a mini. :confused:

Any known issues with the new iMacs, such as getting very hot since its all bundled up?