advice on small business setup

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dirthawk, Aug 9, 2009.

1. dirthawk macrumors newbie

starting a new business in a couple of weeks and need some advice on 'infrastructure'. everyone will use macbooks and iphones.

one idea was to use mobileme for projects and files, the big benefit would be not needing to buy an extra machine. but after reading the forums it doesnt seem like a good idea (mm seem to lack in stability).

what seems more realistic is to get a mac mini and snow leopard server when it is released. ical server, address book server & mobile access server should be really useful stuff. how hard is os x server to setup & manage? is it easy to learn?

what other alternatives are there? google has some nice free services (gmail, google calendar) and there's alot of online disk space services as well. so i guess it easy do it pretty cheap.

how would you do it or how have you setup your business?

thanks for reading!

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I would take a look at Google Docs to see if that does what you want. I got the last company I worked for to convert over to that and it worked very well for them :)

3. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I can think of many, many, many ways to set this up. If we know your price range, we can give you better advice.

4. milk242 macrumors 6502a

I second google docs and services... I use to work for a place that also converted over to google services.

5. Greedo Guest

our design studio uses:

- mobile me to sync calendar and contacts to all computers and iphones (about 6 devices total)

- dropbox to sync task-lists (text doc) and time-trackers (numbers spreadsheets)

we decided against google docs because of 1) lack of native files and formatting options for task-lists, 2) lack of offline access (google gears does not work as well as it needs to yet, at least the last time we looked anyway) and 3) horrible UI for google docs in general.

if we take on another couple of employees we will likely move to some of the 37signals webapps for project management and time tracking.

6. dirthawk thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the responses! i agree google docs doesnt look all too pretty.

cool! lets say our limit is around 3000$

7. chameleon81 macrumors 6502

I also use GoogleDocs ( for personal and small business projects )

It is good but it can be slow on big files. Sorting , loading etc can sometimes upto 10-15 seconds which annoys me a lot. Imagine you do several times sorting one after another.

I like Windows Office Live but on MAC version of Office uploading is not directly integrated into Office Suite.

8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This is why I don't think "cloud computing" will be as big as people act like it will be (at least until we have faster internet)

9. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

This $3000 does not include the MacBooks and iPhones, correct? Also, how many employees? Because equipping just five employees with base MacBooks costs $4995.

10. dirthawk thread starter macrumors newbie

oh, sry for being unclear. no phones and macbooks included in those 3 grand. there will be three of us in the 'core team' ( will have free lancers but they wont work in house for the most part).

11. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Forgot about this thread for some reason, but three MacBooks will cost just under $3000. You're going to have to go to at least $6000.

12. Nickisgodofmacs macrumors member

Nickisgodofmacs

id say that openoffice might be a good place for free suite package.. i dont know how useful it will be for your situation but i personally like it. as for syncing data. i would think something that uses ical would work the best but then again i dont really schedule that much

13. dirthawk thread starter macrumors newbie

mr bake! would love to get some tips on what stuff to use in a small business setup, but dont mind the macbooks (and iphones) for now, they're on a separate budget.

the other tips about 37signals services and dropbox was really good.

14. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Ah. Ok, that makes more sense.

15. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Here's what I've come up with:

Necessities

Base 120 GB Mac mini with 1-year family-pack subscription to Mobile Me: $718. You could get a refurb mini and buy Mobile Me separate, and it may be cheaper, I'm too lazy to look.

Snow Leopard Server: $499. Unlimited clients.

Newer Technology miniStack: $349.99. 2 TB.

Optional

AirPort Extreme Base Station: $179.

AppleCare for Mac mini: $149.

HP PhotoSmart C6380: $200. IIRC, you can get $100 off this with the printer promotion.

Apple Keyboard+Mouse: $98

Dell E2009WFP: $179.