Advice on SSD/HDD Setup in New MBP 13"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gzhtub, Sep 10, 2012.

1. gzhtub, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012

gzhtub macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a 2010/11 iMac 27", iPad 2, plus a new iPhone 5 soon. :) Am wait for the arrival of a new MBP mid-2012 model with 8GB RAM & std 500GB HDD . I will upgrade the machine to SSD & wanted to check if I have the process/setup for this correct (any help/advice appreciated)? I will be using a 128GB Samsung 830 SSD with Hardwrk CD/DVD Adapater & external USB drive bay + tools, etc.

1) Setup/test (but not update) MBP on arrival, but do not copy data from iCloud/iTunes yet.
    2) Switch off, open back, disable battery, etc., as per iFixIt instructions.
    3) Remove CD/DVD drive & replace with Adapter; DVD will go in ext/l USB bay.
    4) Install SSD in Adapter in DVD bay as this is 2012 model so SATA-3 6G. PS: Will check the Firmware version on my W7 PC first.
    5) Reboot machine via Option key to boot from ML USB key to reinstall Mac OS X 10.8.x (creating std partition in Disk Utility first). I will leave the Recovery Partition on the HDD for emergencies, and to save space on the SSD.
    6) Q: What about the iLife apps (do I get a DVD)?
    7) Reboot MBP, hold down Option key & boot from the SSD. Q: Do I need to enable TRIM support on a 3rd-party SSD? Also, do I need to Fix Permissions on the drive?
    8) Test SSD & if all OK, reboot from USB Key (?) to reformat the old HDD as data volume using Disk Utility.
    9) Reboot (again) from SSD. Install apps as per iMac (see Q about iLife?). Create data folders for large files: Music, Pictures & Videos. Restore data backed up on External USB/iCloud onto data volume.
    10). Move iTunes/iPhoto data files from the SSD to data volume & use Option-click to define these new locations on opening the apps. Q: Do I need to do any further config on the Home folder?
    11). Set monthly backup of SSD to external USB Drive via Time Machine (or use cloud?).

Phew, all this should only take a few hours I hope, much easier than on a PC.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I wouldn't clone the hdd to the SSD. Id just install a fresh copy of os x to the SSD.

3. gzhtub thread starter macrumors newbie

Updated Post, but not sure about iLife

OK, have updated the base post, sounds like this would make things quicker, but not sure about iLife apps, as I think my DVD is old, and will be using another Apple ID for this new machine?