Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyjslin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Canberra, Australia
Well it is time my MBP 5,2 (mid to late 2009) got an upgrade as my Applecare runs out. I've seen a lot of specials on SSDs (in Australia) and I am pondering in installing one (and maybe replacing the optical drive with the HD i replace).

I was wondering where do I start? What are some suitable SSDs that I should target, companies that is. What are some brands that I should avoid due to conflicts.

Thanks

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
I think 256GB is good enough, even for people who need a lot of space. You can still use an external drive or put an HD in the SuperDrive so you have more space.

Nde

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I got a hard drive tray from Amazon for $19 + free shipping. I got myself a 500GB drive and I basically pull the DVD out and pop the new try in with the new hard drive. OWC is nice but they cost a little more.

The tray didn't fit completely. I have to bent a corner and I used my finger to bent it, no tools needed. Have been using it for almost 1 years with no problem. Got about 72,000+ air miles traveling with it.

Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.