Advice on stepping up my system (Final Cut Pro X, Logic Pro X)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by therockjaw, Sep 12, 2016.

1. therockjaw macrumors newbie

I'm looking to get a little better system for what I do: Logic Pro X and Final Cut Pro X. I'd say i'm a moderate to heavy user in Logic (not a ton of plugins and software instruments, but I get some playback errors now and then). I'm a moderate Final Cut user (mostly editing my 5 minute Youtube videos, some Motion fx, but I will never have the need to make a feature film)

My current computer:
    • Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro
    • 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
    • 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    • Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
    • Crucial 1TB SSD
    It's been working fine, but I'm looking for a desktop configuration with more power, especially for the video editing stuff.

I don't want to break the bank so a new MacPro is out.
    I'm thinking either a maxed out new Mac Mini, or a used 2012 Mac Pro. (I'm not into iMacs, i had one, and i don't like having it all-in-one.

I'm leaning toward the old Mac Pro, because I still use a SuperDrive for burning stuff. But will it be a "step up"?

Mac Mini's cap at 16gb RAM is a turnoff.

I will definitely be putting a SSD in whatever computer I get.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Well you ruled out the best Mac option in the iMac, a Mac mini is just a headless 13 inch MacBook Pro, and a used Mac Pro is a huge power hungry beast that you don't need.

Unfortunately for you the middle ground on Mac desktops is the iMac although a 15 inch MacBook Pro and an external screen might be a good alternative.

3. therockjaw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input. When you say the Mac Pros are "power hungry" do you mean too powerful for my needs, or an energy waster? I don't mind having a powerful computer if it's under $2k, which is what i've seen on OWC, PowerMax, etc. It seems I can get an older, more powerful MacPro for cheaper than a new iMac retina (I think the config I would get is $2500)

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I meant power hungry as in an energy waster, of course if you want the. Big tower go for it, the tech is out of date and the 5k iMac will beat many of them on Geekbench scores, basically unless it's a 12 core Mac Pro the i7 iMacs will beat it.

https://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

5. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

I'd seriously reconsider and get the latest 5k iMac as well, amazing machines. Either that or a hackintosh if you have the gumption!

You could get an old MacPro, update it to a 6core or 12 core (max it out if you will) but if you're willing to do that you could max out an iMac 5K that would smoke it in most applications