Advice on SuperDrive Problem?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MusicMaverick, Aug 2, 2012.

1. MusicMaverick macrumors newbie

I have a Late 2006 Macbook Pro. 15" 2.16Gz with 2GB Ram and 120GB HD.

Its been great, and I've had it since I bought in in May 2007 from Apple. (Shoulda waited a month for the next edition but oh well).

I've just bought a new Macbook Pro, and trying to sell this one. Its in great condition, no scratches, the ONLY thing wrong is the CD/DVD drive. I didn't even know it wasn't working until I tested it since I can't recall the last time I've used a DVD or CD. It just takes the disc in, holds it for 10-15 secs and spits it out.

Looking around, it seems like it would be a couple hundred just to repair it. Not sure its worth it. I was offered $350 for it, not sure if I should have just taken it. But I had it listed at $500. Wondering if anyone knows of issues with this, quick fixes, etc?

As it turns out, I'm selling my MacMini (From 2006 as well) and the DVD doesn't work on this either, it reads CD's but spits out DVDs

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is pretty common for those Superdrives to just quit like that. The only fix is to open up the machine and replace the drive. You can get a replacement at iFixit for about $150. They also have good instructions on the site.

If you are somewhat handy with tools it is not terribly hard to do.

I'm just not sure if spending $150 to fix this will get you and extra $150 on a sale? I might be inclined to just sell it as is.

3. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Same ting happened with my Rev 1 2006 MBP, I hadn't used the DVD in years probably and just wouldn't work. It's likely just toast, I would suggest picking up an external one and going from there if you really need it.

4. John Fridinger macrumors newbie

I have a late 2006 17" (very, very soon moving to a cMPB :)) and have had the super drive do what you are describing... I've successfully used a can of air from radio shack to gently blow in through the slot so as to move dust along a bit, which seems to get it going again, though the problem is repeating more and more frequently... I don't believe much dust leaves the case, but maybe just gets moved out of the way for a while...

5. DcoalStrat macrumors member

I hate superdrive mine just quit after 3 years.