Advice on swapping parts

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CMD is me, Nov 8, 2012.

1. CMD is me, Nov 8, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2012

CMD is me macrumors 6502

I have 2 older Macbook Pros -- first generation 15" CoreDuo and a late 2006 Core 2 Duo. Both have issues. I want to swap parts to create one that works properly.

CoreDuo issues: 1 cooling fan is bad, airport card doesn't keep a signal

Core2 Duo issues: a string of keys don't work, monitor goes out with heavy video use (turns purple then blank), dvd drive doesn't work.

Swapping out the fan and airport card/antena from the newer C2D to the older CD wouldn't be hard, but the C2D is faster and has FW800 (CD only has FW400). Going the other way seems a bit tricky. I don't know if the display is going out or the video card. Any advice?

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

If you have a 8600GT by nVidia, it is most likely a video card issue. It's been well known for about 3-4 years now that most if not all of them have a manufacturing defect that leads to failure. They're all a ticking time bomb. Check with your local Apple store, Apple has extended the warranty on the motherboard to 4 years on affected computers after a class action suit was won against nVidia. Some Apple Stores will even replace your motherboard out of that extra 3 years of warranty so it's worth a try.

3. CMD is me thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, turns out I have the Radeon X1600. I checked and I actually have the 06 not the 07 2.2 C2D. I updated my post.