Advice on switching to a MAC

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Grazziano, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Grazziano macrumors newbie

I am currently a PC user and I am almost ready to switch to MAC however I want to accomplish one of two things in the switch. I currently have a desktop PC at my office and a laptop at home.

1. Go to a MAC laptop and use it for work and home. But I want to be able to use regular dual monitors or a larger MAC widescreen to replace them at the office.

2. Go with an iMac at the office and a MAC Book Pro/Air at home but I want them to pretty much always be in sync.

Note: I am a verizon customer so I use a vx6800 and not an iphone and I would obviously want my phone to sync with the MAC. I suspect this is not too difficult as I found a few ideas while googling the subject. But I am concerned this will not be an easy fix if I switch to MAC.

Thanks for your help.

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

First off, it's a Mac (short for Macintosh), not a MAC.

With a laptop, there's only one extra display out, so you'd be able to use the internal laptop display plus an external monitor of your choosing.

As for syncing, there's no built-in solutions that I'm aware of unless you're using .Mac to sync things like your calendar and address book, but that's probably not what you had in mind.

3. Nesper macrumors newbie

Do like I did and just jump in head first, and deal with the problems you wont have when then dont come :)

I cant belive I left Macs for so long, windoze ppl dont know what they are missing. I mean with Apple i have found it is true "you get what you pay for." My MBP even plays nicce with my Windoze Mobile6 Phone! :D

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

If you choose a MacBook Pro, it has a DVI port on it, and can support nearly all VGA or DVI connected monitors (there is an adapter included to convert DVI to VGA).

It is somewhat difficult, without additional software, to have two systems. Also, the iMac and MacBook Pro are equal in power, so you would just be better off with just the MBP as your main system.

The included software on the computer, called iSync, is used to sync your Address Book and Calendar to your phone. According to a quick search, iSync supports the vx6800, however Verizon may have locked it down to prevent its use, in which case you would need a piece of software called "The Missing Sync" which can get around these issues.

Also, it is Mac. MAC is either a cosmetics company or a Machine Access Code on a network adapter.

TEG

5. dubej macrumors newbie

I haven't tried syncing a calendar, but iSync (built in on the Mac) works great for syncing contacts from my address book onto my Motorola RAZR and my wife's KRZR.