Advice on system addition / upgrade / deficiencies

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Philgr, Aug 25, 2008.

1. Philgr macrumors regular

Ok guys i have some spare cash for a small system addition or upgrade

My current system is as follows:
    • Imac 2.33Ghz
    • Macbook 2.4Ghz
    • Belkin Wireless 'G' Router
    • Buffallo 250 gig NAS Drive
    • 150 Gig USB Drive
    • PS3 80 Gig
    • 2 x Iphones

My system is on a wired network apart from the macbook, i feel the deficiencies in my current set-up are
    1, Wireless Network (only get a good signal in the living room, incompatible with my daughters Nintendo DS)
    2, Back-up & Central Storage - Im lacking in a robust backup system, im currently attempting to use my NAS drive as a Time Machine back-up, but i can see its not ideal, not sure how i would recover from a hard drive failure on my Imac, it was a pain to get the NAS working with time machine. and it seems very slow.

Possible Addition :- Apple TV, i have a good home cinema set-up and like the idea of getting rid of my DVD's etc, and having access to all my media from my TV

I have been looking at a new routers (havent a clue which one, time capsule (expensive), airport extreme, apple TV etc.. my head is done in, and before i dive in and make a purchase i thought i would seek advice.

Thanks in advance

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

First off, the AppleTV does not function as a router, so that's not a solution. If anything, it may increase the lag on your current set up.

If you're happy with the current router, you could extend the range using an Apple Express unit, which is basically a signal repeater. It depends on how big your space is, and how much of it you need to blanket with a signal. Without knowing your exact set up, it's hard to say. You could also hardwire the iMac so that only the MacBook is drawing on the wireless. This would serve to reduce traffic, and, if you can find a convenient location, you can reposition the router to a spot that will give wireless coverage where you most need it.