advice on the 2010 13"/15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shoeshine, Jul 13, 2010.

1. shoeshine macrumors member

I'm about to purchase a MBP for work and am looking for some pointers/real world experience. I'm leaning towards buying a 13" because of the extreme portability of it, and the extra money saved will help fund a nice external LCD and an SSD upgrade.

I wanted to ask some about capabilities though. Generally speaking my usage is medium to light: Mac Office, Firefox, Filemaker Pro, as well as Power Point presentations and both SD and HD video playback through VLC and quicktime. I occasionally need to do some light Adobe CS 3 work in photoshop and illustrator. I also sometimes need to do some video encoding in Quicktime Pro or Final Cut Express (exporting a web streaming quality video from an HD video file). I'll also probably play some starcraft 2 on the laptop, though admittedly, that's not a work function so not really a consideration. ;)

My main concern recently that has made me think more about the 15" model here is HD video playback (usually in apple prores or h.264 encoding) and whether the C2D processor and 320m on the base MBP with 4GB of Ram is good enough to handle that without any hiccups. I've done it on the Mac Mini (with the 9400 graphics), so assume this should be ok too, but wanted to see if anyone out there has experience.

The 15" with the i5 is really tempting, as i know it would be smoking, but for most of what i do, the processor bump isn't going to make a huge difference to me. the larger screen is nice, but when at the office i'll be tethered to a display in either case.

anyone out there have any thoughts/advice/experience?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

13" can play HD just fine. True BR rips which are like 40GB is another story but they are ridiculous in other ways as well. Do you want power and screen estate or portability and battery life?

3. BobbyCarbn macrumors regular

BobbyCarbn

The 13 should work fine for you. I just purchased a new MBP and the only thing the drove me to the 15 was seeing the HiRes AG screen in person. I do not want to start a this vs that war in this thread, but I just got fed up with the glare when traveling around with my MB and that glossy screen.

From a hardware perspective the 13 should suit you just fine with room to grown over the next few years.

4. shoeshine thread starter macrumors member

the material i would be playing from the BP would not be DVD rips, rather very high quality files exported from Final Cut or Quicktime. I don't have experience with BR rips, but i think what i am going to be playing would be more along the lines of a true BR rip.

and yeah, BobbyCarbn, the high res and antiglare screen are kinda enticing too! i haven't seen one in person and i think it's probably better if i don't. :p

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How high quality? It's up to the bitrate. Some BRs have around 40Mb/s but they can be encoded to around 15Mb/s without noticeable quality loss and that will shrink the size to nearly one third. There shouldn't be any issues though

6. shoeshine thread starter macrumors member

7. MrFlynn macrumors member

Getting ready to buy one, and was going to go with an i7 15" from MacConnection, but then made the horrible mistake of seeing the HD AntiGlare last night at the Apple Store...sickest display I have ever seen on a 15" form factor. Now Im selling my PC laptop to cover the difference lol.

8. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

13" would be great for your needs, but 15" is just amazing...