Advice on the FJ Cruiser

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sk1wbw, Jun 30, 2014.

1. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

So I have a hooptee Jeep Wrangler with rust and a soft top that leaks like a sieve. The volume knob on the radio is broken so I can't turn up the volume to hear the radio. The a/c is broken. But it still runs like a champ and I plan on keeping it for a few more years until the wife's Silverado is paid off.

Anyone have the FJ Cruiser? I've been looking at this car and it's pretty cool. I can get one from Carmax for thousands and thousands less than a Jeep Rubicon, which is what I would like to have, but I'm just a poor retired Sailor.

How is the FJ? You like it or don't? How's the V-6? Does it off road well? Drive on the highway well?

2. carlgo macrumors 68000

The Toyota will be better in EVERY way other than the most extreme rock crawling MAYBE. You should probably lurk on forums to find out which years are best, things that might go wrong, etc.

I'll also bet that the FJ is vastly safer.

3. sk1wbw thread starter Suspended

sk1wbw

Well the Wrangler has the full roll bars, but I just can’t afford a Rubicon.

4. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

I know a couple of folks with FJs and they seem to like them quite a bit. MY cousin uses his on trails, and tows a ~16’ sailboat regularly.

We were next to a family with an FJ at the beach a few weeks ago, talked to the Dad (he actually was asking about our tacos :D ), since I’m a “car guy” I almost always ask about a person’s ride. He was pretty positive about it, had a couple of minor fixes (like switches) and an audio issue (he had the big sub option, which takes up some space).

I considered one a few years ago, but wound up with a Tried and True 4Runner which we _love_. Solid build (it’s on a truck frame too), highly capable off road, we have a V8 Ltd with every option, including a Class IV tow setup and it would pull our 20’ DC Hydrasport like it was a canoe (that’s a really heavy boat).

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I know nothing about Jeeps or the FJ, but for under $200, you could replace the radio and have a functioning volume control.

6. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

I drove one for work a little bit a few years back. I'm about 6'1" and the low roof line affected my visibility a bit. If I was shorter, probably not a problem. Didn't get to take it off road but otherwise fun to drive. Do remember the blindspots were pretty big but ours had a backup camera that helped.

7. sk1wbw thread starter Suspended

sk1wbw

Well, things like that are in the works, plus a new soft top. I can still get a few more years out of thing.

She may not be much, but she's got it where it counts kid.