Advice on the new macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skruggie, Apr 13, 2010.

1. skruggie macrumors member

I'm debating what to do, hoping someone may be able to guide me in the right direction?

I ordered the midrange macbookpro 13" last weekend, so I'm still in my two week window to exchange this for the newer models.

My main use for the machine is to encode vhs video via imovie, and then encode the dv files to mp4. I have hundreds and hundreds.....and hundreds of tapes, so this is a very long term project.

I've gotten very frustrated with my current macbook pro (2007 model) and pretty much gave up on the project because of the encoding times with visual hub, and it pretty much brought my computer down to its knees.

Is it worth the upgrade to the new 15" midrange at $2k, or for what I need to do is the 13" core 2 duo good enough for the job? My instincts are telling me that I could benefit by the newer technology of i5, but confirmation would be appreciated before I shell out another $500 when I go back to the Apple store tonight.

thank you for any insight!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Of course the new one is faster but is it worth it for you? I think it is.

Take a look at refurbs

3. Relznuk macrumors 6502

Relznuk

For this, I'd definitely recommend a higher-caliber machine such as the new i5's.

4. skruggie thread starter macrumors member

thanks...its not like I need much encouragement here as I am leaning towards the mid range 15" but it does help to know that it is indeed what I need in order to keep moving forward with this project.

My current machine has caused me nothing but frustration and I never really got what was "pro" about it.

5. skruggie thread starter macrumors member

Wow what a process..since I ordered it online, I have to return it via mail, and I can't order the new machine till this return goes through.

In the future, I will definitely purchase my computers directly at the apple store, it has been quite the hassle to do this online.

6. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

In your situation, I'd get the fastest machine you can afford.